[comp.unix.wizards] VMS Emulators on UNIX

oneill#robin%e.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa (08/13/87)

Dear UNIX-WIZARDS,
I am looking for information concerning DEC-VMS emulators/subsystems/shells/
guest systems that have been developed for UNIX.  I will take any info that
I can get.  But I am specifically looking for an implementation of the DCL
shell on UNIX (along with related utilities).  If you have such information
please send responses directly to me, as I am not a subscriber of this board.
I will post the responses back to the board for any other interested parties.

                                      Thank you,

                                       Robin O'Neill
                                       Lawrence Livermore National Lab.
                                       oneill@nmfecc.arpa

oneill#robin%e.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa (08/17/87)

Depending on your need and your schedule and if you have money to
spend.... try:
Boston Business Computing, Ltd.
Lawrence, MA
617-683-7920

They are a good, small company and they were developing such a thing.
It may be a product now - I am not certain.
Tell 'em sid sent you
/ Sid /

hls@oce-rd1.oce.nl (Harry Schreurs) (08/20/87)

Try RS/Explore from BBN.
They have implemented a sort of DCL within RS/Explore!
We run RS/Explore on 4.3 BSD.

Harry

/*
 *  This note does not necessarily represent the position
 *  of Oce-Nederland B.V. Therefore no liability or
 *  responsibility for whatever will be accepted.
 */

dave@rosesun.Rosemount.COM (Dave Marquardt) (08/22/87)

In article <399@oce-rd4.oce-rd1.oce.nl> hls@oce-rd1.UUCP (Harry Schreurs) writes:
>Try RS/Explore from BBN.
>They have implemented a sort of DCL within RS/Explore!
>We run RS/Explore on 4.3 BSD.

Wow!  What overkill!  RS/Explore runs on top of RS/1, which is a nice package
for doing statistics and plotting, but is also very large and very expensive.
Seems like you're paying a lot for a product that sort of emulates DCL,
though probably not intentionally.

	Dave