[comp.unix.wizards] help with missing lost+found!

sloane@LOGICON.LOGICON.UUCP (Gary Sloane x251) (08/04/87)

Do any of you wizards out there in netland have a quick and easy way
(BESIDES running mkfs) to recreate an accidentally deleted lost+found
directory? Using mkdir() doesn't cut it...

                        Gary Sloane
                        LOGICON T&TSD
                        San Diego
                        (619) 455-1330

Please respond via mail to ...!nosc!logicon!sloane

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (08/11/87)

In <180@LOGICON.LOGICON.UUCP> sloane@LOGICON.LOGICON.UUCP (Gary Sloane x251)
Wants to know how to recreate a missing lost+found directory but says:
> Using mkdir() doesn't cut it...

Why not?  Doing:

	cd <root of your file system>
	mkdir lost+found
	cd lost+found
	for i in `series 1 100`; do touch $i; done
	rm *

should do the trick and I can't imagine anything much more straight-forward.
Of course, if you don't have Gary Perlman's "series" program, you have to
think of some other way to generate a list of numbers, or type them by hand.
The file names are unimportant; "for i in `ls /tmp`" should work fine if
you have lots of /tmp files.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

rjd@tiger.UUCP (08/11/87)

> Do any of you wizards out there in netland have a quick and easy way
> (BESIDES running mkfs) to recreate an accidentally deleted lost+found
> directory? Using mkdir() doesn't cut it...

   Why not?  Mkdir() works on my machine....   What kind of machine are
you on?

Randy

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (08/12/87)

In article <2836@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>> Using mkdir() doesn't cut it...
>
>Why not?  Doing:
>
>	cd <root of your file system>
>	mkdir lost+found
>	cd lost+found
>	for i in `series 1 100`; do touch $i; done
>	rm *

I vaguely know what the lost+found directory does for a disk partition. Can
someone explain the reason for needing 100 empty files in the directory?
What happens if you just do mkdir <partition>/lost+found and leave it at that?

	-- Niels.

kurt@hi.UUCP (Kurt Zeilenga) (08/13/87)

In article <142700014@tiger.UUCP> rjd@tiger.UUCP writes:
>> Do any of you wizards out there in netland have a quick and easy way
>> (BESIDES running mkfs) to recreate an accidentally deleted lost+found
>> directory? Using mkdir() doesn't cut it...
>Why not?  Mkdir() works on my machine....   What kind of machine are
>you on?
>   Randy

(I assume we are talking about 4.X BSD Unix)

Well, you should also "grow" the directory size so fsck has
plenty of empty slots to put orphaned files and directories
in after mkdir lost+found in the root of the filesystem.  An
easy way to do this is to create many empty files in the
directory and then delete them all.

michael@macom1.UUCP (Michael Mullins) (08/14/87)

in article <142700014@tiger.UUCP>, rjd@tiger.UUCP says:
> Nf-ID: #R:LOGICON.LOGICON.UUCP:-18000:tiger.UUCP:142700014:000:277
> Nf-From: tiger.UUCP!rjd    Aug 11 09:03:00 1987
>

>> Do any of you wizards out there in netland have a quick and easy way
>> (BESIDES running mkfs) to recreate an accidentally deleted lost+found
>> directory? Using mkdir() doesn't cut it...
>
>    Why not?  Mkdir() works on my machine....   What kind of machine are
> you on?

Wrong!

Just making a new lost+found directory is not sufficient.  The typical
procedure is to mkdir lost+found and then use some kind of script to make
about 2000 NULL files, then remove them.  This provides enough entries in
the directory database to link a whole bunch of lost files to that directory
when fsck finds them.  If fsck discovers 500 unreferenced files, and the
maximum number of files that had ever been created at one time was 10, guess
what?  You just lost 490 files forever!

Maybe some of you Guru's out there could map out the disk and trace every
single sector by hand, but that will take more time than I can possibly
spend on something like that, and you will still loose data if UN*X has marked
these blocks as avail. and some other file decides to use the space.

--
John Michael Mullins
CENTEL Business Information Systems, Inc.

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (08/14/87)

Actually, what should happen is that whoever you got your system from
should FIX their fsck. The 4.3 BSD fsck will create a lost+found if
neceessary (and do some other really nice things). If you have a 4.2 BSD
based file system it should be trivial to port the 4.3bsd fsck. If you
don't, you can still steal most of the code.

There is no excuse for still requiring a lost+found directory.

(For a good time do a clri 2 on your 4.3 BSD root filesystem. Then be
highly impressed when fsck says "ROOT INODE UNALLOCATED. ALLOCATE?" For
a really good time, do the clri on a friends terminal who doesn't know
that the 4.3bsd fsck can recover that. The facial expression can be
priceless)

---rick

dave@murphy.UUCP (Dave Cornutt) (08/14/87)

In article <142700014@tiger.UUCP>, authorplaceholder@tiger.UUCP.UUCP writes:

> > Do any of you wizards out there in netland have a quick and easy way
> > (BESIDES running mkfs) to recreate an accidentally deleted lost+found
> > directory? Using mkdir() doesn't cut it...
>
>    Why not?  Mkdir() works on my machine....   What kind of machine are
> you on?

Mkdir by itself isn't sufficient.  Several people have posted shell scripts
that make a directory, create a bunch of files in it, and then delete the
files.  This works, at least for BSD4.2, and I think SYSV too.  The idea
is to create a bunch of directory slots and force the directory to be
extended; this is necessary because fsck is not capable of extending
the directory (after all, you can't expect the entire file system to be
implemented inside fsck).  If fsck tries to move some lost files to the
lost+found directory, and there is no space left in the directory, you're
out of luck.

Now, here's my question: I've seen several postings here saying that BSD4.3
is capable of shrinking directories.  In that case, if I create a bunch
of files in a lost+found directory and then delete them, what's to stop
it from shrinking the directory and undoing the effect?
---
"I dare you to play this record" -- Ebn-Ozn

Dave Cornutt, Gould Computer Systems, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
[Ignore header, mail to these addresses]
UUCP:  ...!{sun,pur-ee,brl-bmd,seismo,bcopen,rb-dc1}!gould!dcornutt
 or ...!{ucf-cs,allegra,codas,hcx1}!novavax!gould!dcornutt
ARPA: dcornutt@gswd-vms.arpa

"The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer,
not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary."

aegl@root44.UUCP (08/15/87)

In our fsck (MtXinu 4.3 bsd - perhaps in ordinary 4.3 too) there is code
to make a lost+found directory if it does not exist - and to grow it if
it runs out of free slots. I've never tried deliberately removing a
lost+found directory and corrupting a file system to see if it works
though.

Tony Luck

guy@gorodish.UUCP (08/16/87)

> Several people have posted shell scripts that make a directory, create a
> bunch of files in it, and then delete the files.  This works, at least for
> BSD4.2, and I think SYSV too.  The idea is to create a bunch of directory
> slots and force the directory to be extended; this is necessary because fsck
> is not capable of extending the directory (after all, you can't expect the
> entire file system to be implemented inside fsck).

This does work in 4.2 and S5.  However...

> Now, here's my question: I've seen several postings here saying that BSD4.3
> is capable of shrinking directories.  In that case, if I create a bunch
> of files in a lost+found directory and then delete them, what's to stop
> it from shrinking the directory and undoing the effect?

Nothing - but then it shouldn't matter in most cases, since the 4.3BSD
"fsck" *is* capable of extending (or creating!) "lost+found" in most cases.
(It looks like it won't do it if

	1) it will require the directory's file map to have an indirect block,
	   or if the directory's file map already has an indirect block - but
	   then with a 4K/x file system, and 512-byte disk blocks, that won't
	   happen until "lost+found" is 5120 bytes long, or 10240 bytes long
	   with an 8K/x file system;

	2) it can't allocate a block, e.g. because the file system is full.)
	Guy Harris
	guy@sun.com

rjd@tiger.UUCP (08/17/87)

> >> Do any of you wizards out there in netland have a quick and easy way
> >> (BESIDES running mkfs) to recreate an accidentally deleted lost+found
> >> directory? Using mkdir() doesn't cut it...
> >
> >    Why not?  Mkdir() works on my machine....   What kind of machine are
> > you on?
>
> Wrong!

  Are you sure I am wrong?  At least for Unix system V on the AT&T 3B2, 3B5,
3B15 computers, the ones I have most experience with, all that needs to be
there is the directory.  I have lost BIG files and have them reappear properly
after having "rm -r lost+found ; mkdir lost+found" it to get rid of trash.
I have lost /usr/terminfo once, and it reappeared in /usr/lost+found....
  Like I said: which machine/operating system are you on??  I do not believe
that the creation of millions of files is need on all op systems.

Randy

kyle@xanth.UUCP (08/18/87)

In article <142700015@tiger.UUCP>, rjd@tiger.UUCP writes:
>   Are you sure I am wrong?
> ....  I have lost BIG files and have them reappear properly

The size of the lost files isn't the salient point here, the NUMBER of lost
files is.  The point of creating a lot of files in lost+found and deleting
them is to create enough enough empty directory slots so that fsck doesn't run
out of them when it is relinking the lost files.

jlw@mtuxo.UUCP (08/19/87)

In article <142700015@tiger.UUCP>, authorplaceholder@tiger.UUCP.UUCP writes:

> > >    Why not?  Mkdir() works on my machine....   What kind of machine are
> > > you on?
> >
> > Wrong!
>
>   Are you sure I am wrong?  At least for Unix system V on the AT&T 3B2, 3B5,
> 3B15 computers, the ones I have most experience with, all that needs to be
> there is the directory.  I have lost BIG files and have them reappear properly
> after having "rm -r lost+found ; mkdir lost+found" it to get rid of trash.

Note that no blocks were allocated from the file system to create one file.
In fact any fsck should be able to save in lost+found up to 30 files since
mkdir automatically creates the . and .. entries.  This allocates the entire
first block of the directory and thus the addition of a small number of
file names/inumbers to the directory doesn't make it overflow into the next
block.

Joe Wood
lznv!jlw

fmr@cwi.nl (Frank Rahmani) (08/19/87)

In article <142700014@tiger.UUCP>, rjd@tiger.UUCP writes:
> > (BESIDES running mkfs) to recreate an accidentally deleted lost+found
>    Why not?  Mkdir() works on my machine....   What kind of machine are
> you on?
So what's wrong with
mklost+found(8)??
Rtfm!

--
It is better never to have been born. But who among us has such luck?

michael@macom1.UUCP (Michael Mullins) (08/19/87)

in article <44059@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV>, rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) says:

> Actually, what should happen is that whoever you got your system from
> should FIX their fsck. The 4.3 BSD fsck will create a lost+found if
> neceessary (and do some other really nice things). If you have a 4.2 BSD

Sorry Rick,
	I don't quite agree with that.  I am not questioning the fact about
the fsck function under BSD, but I don't think I want fsck creating new
directory entries in a filesystem that has questionable integrity(sp?).

	If I have a possible hard error on the drive that is causing
the problems in the first place, how much intellegence must fsck have
in order to avoid that, and other problems when allocationg new blocks
to the lost+found?

--
UUCP:   michael@macom1.UUCP 	or	decuac!macom1!michael

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (08/21/87)

In article <330@sering.cwi.nl>, fmr@cwi.nl (Frank Rahmani) writes:
> In article <142700014@tiger.UUCP>, rjd@tiger.UUCP writes:
> > > (BESIDES running mkfs) to recreate an accidentally deleted lost+found
> >    Why not?  Mkdir() works on my machine....   What kind of machine are
> > you on?
> So what's wrong with
> mklost+found(8)??
> Rtfm!

Well, I checked again, and sure enough, tfm on this machine doesn't have
an entry for mklost+found, in (8) or anywhere else.  Furthermore, find(1)
can find only one thing by that name: /usr/jc/sh/mklost+found, and I wrote
that one myself a couple months back when I discovered that there wasn't
one in the system.

Before you go insulting people's intelligence, maybe you should think that
not all of them are running on the same release as you, and they just might
not have all the tools in your library.

If anyone wants a copy, I'd be glad to send it to them.  But it's more fun
to write it yourself.  If you are a shell wizard, you'll just type it in
and not have much fun; if you are less experienced, it is a good learning
experience.  BTW, I wonder if my script would work on a Berserkeley system?

--
	John Chambers <{adelie,ima,maynard}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)

breck@aimt.UUCP (Robert Breckinridge Beatie) (08/21/87)

In article <330@sering.cwi.nl>, fmr@cwi.nl (Frank Rahmani) writes:
> In article <142700014@tiger.UUCP>, rjd@tiger.UUCP writes:
> > > (BESIDES running mkfs) to recreate an accidentally deleted lost+found
> >    Why not?  Mkdir() works on my machine....   What kind of machine are
> > you on?
> So what's wrong with
> mklost+found(8)??
> Rtfm!

What kind of system are we dealing with here?  If it's a BSD system, then
mklost+found(8) will work.  If it's a 4.3 BSD system, then as rick@seismo
has already pointed out, fsck will create it's own lost+found directory.
(By the way, I hope I got my references right there.  If not I apologize to
whoever actually pointed out the improved features of fsck in 4.3 BSD)

On the other hand, if it's a System V system, then I'm not so sure that there
is a mklost+found command.  I looked through the indices of volumes 1,2, 3 of
the SVID for a reference to mklost+found and couldn't find any reference to the
command.

At any rate, here's how I would go about it if I had to create a lost+found
directory right now:

First a short C program:

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/dir.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>

struct direct bigbuf[640];

main()
{
    struct stat stbuf;

    if(fstat(1,&stbuf) < 0)  {
	perror("1");
	exit(1);
    }
    strcpy(bigbuf[0].d_name,".");
    bigbuf[0].d_ino = stbuf.st_ino;
    strcpy(bigbuf[1].d_name,"..");
    bigbuf[1].d_ino = 2;
    write(1,bigbuf,sizeof bigbuf);
}

Compile the program and run it redirecting it's output to lost+found (in the
root directory for the file system in question).

Next find the file's inode number.  (ls -i)  Now, and this might not be totally
necessary, but it's better safe than sorry, unmount the file system in question.

Now run fsdb on the file system.  Then tell fsdb, "<i-num>i.md=16895" where
<i-num> is the inode number of the lost+found file you just created.  Note
the number 16895 should turn the file into a directory that has permissions:
drwxrwxrwx.  Next you have to increment the link count for the new directory
(it now has a link to itself).  Tell fsdb, "<i-num>i.ln=+1".  Finally, you
have to update the link count for the root directory of the file system in
question.  Tell fsdb, "2i.ln=+1"

NOTE: The number 16895 might (concievably, not probably) be wrong for your
system.  Check your own system.  Create a real directory with mkdir and make
it readable, writable, and searchable by everyone.  Then use fsdb to find
the actual value in the mode field for it's inode.

Finally, just to make sure that the file system is healthy, run fsck on the
file system.  Hopefully, it will pass.

Disclaimer: No I haven't tried doing this.  Not for a couple years anyway.
Also, I can't guarantee that this will work.  Nor can the company I work for.
Don't do this if you can't afford to corrupt your file system.  Don't do this
if you want to sue me or the company I work for.  I'm not kidding.  I think it
will work, but I can't be held responsible for any damage resulting from use
of this technique.
--
Breck Beatie
uunet!aimt!breck

In article <252@macom1.UUCP>, michael@macom1.UUCP (Michael Mullins) writes:
> in article <44059@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV>, rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) says:
> >
> > The 4.3 BSD fsck will create a lost+found if
> > neceessary (and do some other really nice things).
> >

> 	If I have a possible hard error on the drive that is causing
> the problems in the first place, how much intellegence must fsck have
> in order to avoid that, and other problems when allocationg new blocks
> to the lost+found?

I'm not sure, since I don't have access to the source for fsck or to a 4.3 BSD
system, but it seems that it wouldn't take that much intelligence.  Shouldn't
it be possible to move the "Check Pathnames" and "Check Connectivity" phases
to the end of the list of phases.  That is, make sure that all blocks in the
free list are actually free and all blocks referenced by inodes are referenced
by only one inode.  Then any blocks fsck has to allocate to the lost+found
directory are guaranteed to be free.

As for hard errors on blocks that fsck attempts to allocate for lost+found...
Well, it's a problem.  But shouldn't such blocks already be out of the way?
On at least one system V implementation (I don't know about BSD) bad blocks are
linked to inode #1.  One possible way to work around this would be for fsck to
attempt to read the block that it attempts to allocate for lost+found.  If the
block is bad, then wouldn't the read fail giving an error condition?  fsck
could then just pick another block for allocation, flagging the original block
as bad so the administrator could take care of it.

Some more questions:  Would fsck really be able to find out if the block is
"bad" just by reading it?  Even through the block device interface?  Also, what
does 4.2 BSD do with bad blocks if it doesn't link them to inode 1?  Do you
reformat the disk and map around them?  That seems a bit extreme.  I'm really
curious about this and would appreciate any feedback anyone could give me.

Thanks.
--
Breck Beatie
uunet!aimt!breck

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (08/22/87)

In article <657@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM> mayer@hplabsz.UUCP (Niels Mayer) writes:
> I vaguely know what the lost+found directory does for a disk partition. Can
> someone explain the reason for needing 100 empty files in the directory?

	You don't need empty files in the directory, but empty slots.  It
goes like this.  When you make a file, the directory gets an entry in it
containing the file name and the inode number.  When you remove a file, the
inode number is set to zero, which indicates that the directory slot is
unused.  Next time you go to create a file, if there are any unused slots,
the kernel will reuse a slot.  If there aren't any empty slots, the kernel
will grow the directory and make a new slot.

	Fsck knows how to take unreferenced files and put them in
/lost+found, with made-up names (#i, where i is the inode number).  It does
not know, however, how to grow a directory, so if it has to reattach a file
and there aren't any empty slots in the lost+found directory, you're
screwed.  So, when you create a lost+found, you make lots of empty files
there and then remove them all, leaving lots of empty slots for fsck to use
if it ever has to.  Since directories don't shrink, these slots stay
around, empty, until needed.

	With the coming of 4.3, some of this has changed.  Fsck is supposed
to know how to grow directories, and directories are supposed to be able to
shrink under the right conditions.  As somebody has already pointed out,
given that you are working with a addled file system to begin with, you
probably shouldn't trust that fsck can grow the lost+found directory if it
has to.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (08/22/87)

>I vaguely know what the lost+found directory does for a disk partition. Can
>someone explain the reason for needing 100 empty files in the directory?
>What happens if you just do mkdir <partition>/lost+found and leave it at that?

The lost+found directory is used by fsck to recover "lost" files and
directories.  When it finds an allocated file with no name, it will
(potentially) link it into the lost+found directory.  However, since
fsck does not yet know that the filesystem is in a consistent state,
it doesn't want to allocate any new space to lost+found.  Hence the
need to create lots of empty slots.

The fsck that comes with 4.3bsd has been improved in this regard, but
newfs (mkfs) still creates 4K- or 8K-byte lost+found directories.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2560 Ninth St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."

tgr@picuxa.UUCP (Dr. Emilio Lizardo) (08/25/87)

According to the System V Admin Guide (c) 1985, pg 3-34, 3-35:

	"As a general guide, the number of [i-node] slots to reserve
	 is about ten percent of the number of i-nodes allocated for
 	 the file system."

The following shell script accepts as argument $1 the number of
inodes in the file system, then creates files in modulo 50 increments
up to 10% of the argument.  Your current directory should be
the empty file system.

Note:  the "rm" statements at the end of this script may blow up if the
	file system is sufficiently large (error is "arg list too big" or
	some such nonsense). If this happens, change the lines to:

		rm [A-M][0-9]*
		rm [M-Z][0-9]*   etc.

	or just try rm *

---------cut here------------
if [ "${#}" -gt "1" ] | [ "${#}" = "0" ]
then
	echo "Usage:  $0 n"
	echo "	where n = number of i-nodes in file system."
	exit 1
fi

# Loop for mod 50 of 10% of $1

n=`expr \( \( $1 / 10 \) +1 \) /50`
if [ "$n" = "0" ]
then
	n=1
fi

#  Create 50 files at a time

while [ "${n}" -gt "0" ]
do
	>a${n};	>b${n}; >c${n}; >d${n}; >e${n}
	>f${n};	>g${n}; >h${n}; >i${n}; >j${n}
	>k${n};	>l${n}; >m${n}; >n${n}; >o${n}
	>p${n};	>q${n}; >r${n}; >s${n}; >t${n}
	>u${n};	>v${n}; >w${n}; >x${n}; >y${n}
	>A${n};	>B${n}; >C${n}; >D${n}; >E${n}
	>F${n};	>G${n}; >H${n}; >I${n}; >J${n}
	>K${n};	>L${n}; >M${n}; >N${n}; >O${n}
	>P${n};	>Q${n}; >R${n}; >S${n}; >T${n}
	>U${n};	>V${n}; >W${n}; >X${n}; >Y${n}

	n=`expr ${n} - 1`
done

# Now remove files

echo "Removing files..."
rm [A-Z][0-9]*
rm [a-z][0-9]*
exit
--
 Tom Gillespie   ( ...ihnp4!picuxa!tgr)   | "Don't take life so serious...
 AT&T/EDS Product Integration Center	  |  it ain't nohow permanent."

molly@killer.UUCP (Molly Fredericks) (08/25/87)

In article <330@sering.cwi.nl>, fmr@cwi.nl (Frank Rahmani) writes:
> In article <142700014@tiger.UUCP>, rjd@tiger.UUCP writes:
> > > (BESIDES running mkfs) to recreate an accidentally deleted lost+found
> >    Why not?  Mkdir() works on my machine....   What kind of machine are
> > you on?
> So what's wrong with
> mklost+found(8)??
> Rtfm!

I try to be real careful before I RTFM anyone (my mother doesn't let me talk
dirty except to assholes ;-)

The three different manuals I have don't give an entry for mklost+found(8).
The manuals are:

	Unix 7th Edition
	Unix System III
	Unix Release 5.0 (the white book)

I don't think the System V Release 2 manuals at work are going to be much
different.  Of course, I'm not stupid, maybe this is yet another plot by
all of those silly college students as UCB that want to get their name on
a BSD.

New rule before posting a RTFM:  Specify which manual!

Molly
--
       Molly Fredericks       UUCP: { any place real }!ihnp4!killer!molly
    Disclaimer:  Neither me, nor my cat, had anything to do with any of this

dave@murphy.UUCP (Dave Cornutt) (08/27/87)

In article <1406@killer.UUCP>, molly@killer.UUCP writes:
> I try to be real careful before I RTFM anyone (my mother doesn't let me talk
> dirty except to  ;-)

Good for you.  (No sarcasm intended, either.)

> The three different manuals I have don't give an entry for mklost+found(8).
> The manuals are:
>
> 	Unix 7th Edition
> 	Unix System III
> 	Unix Release 5.0 (the white book)

I think it's a Berkeleyism.  It appeared in 4.2.  I have no explanation for
what happened to it on SunOS 3.2; it's not there, either the thing itself
or the manpage.  I checked the one on our Gould PN9080 (UTX 2.0) and it
had a 1980 UCB copyright.  It's just a shell script, and it works essentially
the same way as the one Chris Torek posted -- no secret system calls, just
a mkdir and then create a bunch of files and remove them.

> New rule before posting a RTFM:  Specify which manual!

Excellent idea.
---