[comp.unix.wizards] Ultrix 2.0 boot -- a driver interface change?

david@ci-dandelion.UUCP (David M. Watson) (08/27/87)

Before we converted our 11/750 to ULTRIX-32 v2.0, we ran two vs100's
without problems, although DEC did not, and still does not support that
device for ULTRIX.

From the first time we booted ULTRIX 2.0, the autoconf has reported that
the vs's didn't interrupt, so I put a couple of printf's in the driver
probe routine and found that the autoconf appears to lie -- the
probe is returning normally.

Therefore, I assume that the autoconf is looking for a different
sort of return value from the probe than the value which indicated
success in 1.2 (sizeof(struct vsdevice)).  Is this true?  What value
is autoconf looking for as an indication that the device actually did interrupt?

Or have I jumped to some wrong conclusions?

			-David Watson
			 Cognition, Inc. (617) 667-4800
			 900 Technology Park Drive
			 Billerica, MA  01821

chris@mimsy.UUCP (08/28/87)

In article <3244@ci-dandelion.UUCP> david@ci-dandelion.UUCP (David M.
Watson) writes:
>... From the first time we booted ULTRIX 2.0, the autoconf has reported
>that the vs's didn't interrupt, so I put a couple of printf's in the
>driver  probe routine and found that the autoconf appears to lie -- the
>probe is returning normally.

`did not interrupt' means not that probe() returned zero, but rather
that `cvec' was not altered.  cvec is a global variable in Ultrix
2.0, so code that says

	register int br, cvec;

	br = 0x15;
	cvec = <expr>;

will fail until the declarations for br and cvec are removed.
Domain:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu	Path:	seismo!mimsy!chris

das@eplunix.UUCP (David Steffens) (08/28/87)

in article <8223@mimsy.UUCP>, chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) says:
> ... cvec is a global variable in Ultrix [2.0] ...

OK, I'll bite... anyone know why the change was made?
Just another example of creeping DECism or is there a *good* reason?
--
{harvard,mit-eddie,think}!eplunix!das		David Allan Steffens
243 Charles St., Boston, MA 02114		Eaton-Peabody Laboratory

wyatt@cfa.harvard.EDU (Bill Wyatt) (08/29/87)

>> ... cvec is a global variable in Ultrix [2.0] ...
>
> OK, I'll bite... anyone know why the change was made?
> Just another example of creeping DECism or is there a *good* reason?

I can't resist putting in my 2 cents worth...
I have no idea why this change was made, but I always though the
older way (arrange for R10 and R11 to have the cvec & br) was
pretty kludgey. The new way is more in keeping with proper C,
and perhaps easier to move to other architectures.

--

Bill    UUCP:  {seismo|ihnp4}!harvard!cfa!wyatt
Wyatt   ARPA:  wyatt@cfa.harvard.edu