[comp.unix.wizards] 4.3BSD and Fortran for MVII

sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu (fred sullivan) (08/28/87)

We are considering a conversion from Ultrix to 4.3BSD on MVII's.  Does
anyone have anything good or bad to say about such a move?

We have the DEC Ultrix Fortran compiler (not f77 but the VMS compiler
ported to Ultrix).  Does anyone know whether this compiler (and the
associated linker) will run under 4.3BSD?

Thanks for any information.

Fred Sullivan
Department of Mathematical Sciences
State University of New York at Binghamton
Binghamton, New York  13903
Email: sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu

lad@eplrx7.UUCP (Lawrence Dziegielewski) (09/01/87)

In article <681@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu (fred sullivan) writes:
> We are considering a conversion from Ultrix to 4.3BSD on MVII's.  Does
> anyone have anything good or bad to say about such a move?

I switched from Ulitix to MORE/bsd 4.3 from Mt Xinu and haven't regretted it
yet.  The support from Xinu is far superior to DEC's and the people there
actually know what they're talking about ( unlike DEC ).  I'm running a
Vaxstation II with 4.3 and NFS on a qvss display,  and all works well.  I
can recommend 4.3 from Mt Xinu.

	Mt Xinu
	Berkley, CA
	(415) 644-0146

--
	Lawrence A. Dziegielewski	|	E.I. Dupont Co.
	{uunet!dgis!psuvax1}!eplrx7!lad	|	Engineering Physics Lab