[comp.unix.wizards] 4.3 bsd on PC/AT

donn@rice.EDU (Donn Baumgartner) (09/09/87)

I am interested in hearing of anyone else that might be involved (or
desires to be involved) in port 4.3 bsd to the PC/AT.  I got involved
with Doug Gilmore (formerly at illnois) in just such a port, and would
like to reduce any duplication of effort - if such exists.  Please
reply to me directly (donn@rice.edu).

Current status of the project:  we have a running kernel (pretty stable),
and various device drivers.  We could use some help with the rest of the
device drivers, as currently there are only a few of us available on a
part-time basis to work on this project.  We have a native compilation
system... just recently ported.  If 4.3 bsd on a PC/AT interests you,
send me mail.  Simple bench marks confirm that the AT is faster than
your average vax 11/780 (but that's not surprising really).

Donn Baumgartner
Rice University, Dept of CS
Disclaimer:  my research advisor would deny that I exist, much less
	     have anything to do with my opinions...

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (09/09/87)

Sure, I'm sure I can interest people here in such a thing.

-Ron

lmcvoy@eta.UUCP (09/10/87)

In article <9200@brl-adm.ARPA> donn@rice.EDU (Donn Baumgartner) writes:
>send me mail.  Simple bench marks confirm that the AT is faster than
>your average vax 11/780 (but that's not surprising really).

Huh?!?!?  I ran compile benchmarks on a AT (1 Meg, 8mhz, 28ms 30 meg disk,
running QNX) and they came out to be very similar to a VAX 750, a little
tiny bit slower, actually.

I've also sat down in front of an AT (??Mhz Zenith, 1.5meg, 28ms drive,
running Microport Unix) and that felt a whole lot slower than a 750
(vi in particular was slower than sh*t to start up).

What sort of AT are you running that you can say it's faster than a 780?
I might be persuaded to get over my distaste for intel cpu's if your
claim was true.
--

Larry McVoy	uucp: ...!{uiucuxc, rosevax, meccts, ihnp4!laidbak}!eta!lmcvoy
		arpa: eta!lmcvoy@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (09/14/87)

It's not fair to compare XENIX on the AT to 4.2BSD on a VAX.  XENIX
on your 780 would be pretty attrocious as well.

=Ron