[comp.unix.wizards] Personal Computers vs. modem access

In article <142700020@tiger.UUCP> rjd@tiger.UUCP writes:
>   But, the other day, I saw an Amiga doing some graphics.  Now, THAT is
>something I would ALMOST go out and pay good money for: because I have always
>loved to work in graphics, and, sorry, 1200 baud on a DMD is not quite the
>same....

All home computers I know about (including the Amiga) have constraints
on their graphics abilities, or just weird designs, which makes
programming them less pleasurable than one would hope for.

In defense of the DMD, it's not constrained to communicate at 1200 bps
(many people have 9600 bps modems), and once your code is downloaded,
it's totally independent of the modem except when it needs to exchange
information with the host, which is application-dependent.  I've known
people to download a video game such as "gebaca", "smiley", or "centipede",
then hang up the connection; the game keeps running.

By the way, I've been informed that the new AT&T 630 terminal has
been officially announced.  That's the successor to the 5620 DMD;
it's much improved and uses a 68010 instead of a WE32001/WE32100.
(Therefore you need new host software to develop downloadable code
for it, but your existing "layers" utility continues to work.)
Comparative information about the 615, 620, 630, and 5620 was posted
(to comp.terminals, I seem to recall) a few weeks ago.  For further
information you should now contact your AT&T sales rep, who with any
luck may even know what you're talking about..