[comp.unix.wizards] Personal Computers vs. modem ac

rjd@tiger.UUCP (09/22/87)

> In article <142700020@tiger.UUCP> rjd@tiger.UUCP writes:
> >   But, the other day, I saw an Amiga doing some graphics.  Now, THAT is
> >something I would ALMOST go out and pay good money for: because I have always
> >loved to work in graphics, and, sorry, 1200 baud on a DMD is not quite the
> >same....
>
> All home computers I know about (including the Amiga) have constraints
> on their graphics abilities, or just weird designs, which makes
> programming them less pleasurable than one would hope for.
> By the way, I've been informed that the new AT&T 630 terminal has
> been officially announced.  That's the successor to the 5620 DMD;
> it's much improved and uses a 68010 instead of a WE32001/WE32100.
> (Therefore you need new host software to develop downloadable code
> for it, but your existing "layers" utility continues to work.)
> Comparative information about the 615, 620, 630, and 5620 was posted
> (to comp.terminals, I seem to recall) a few weeks ago.  For further
> information you should now contact your AT&T sales rep, who with any
> luck may even know what you're talking about..

  I am not denigrating the 5620 at all.  I have one and a 5425 on my desk
at work, and have access to a 620.  I just like colors!!!  And I doubt
that there is any justification for me to need a color DMD (is that the
630?) at home for me to play games on, as most of my work is in test
software, which a 5425 is perfect for (in my opinion).  I am aware of the
download method of running programs on the terminal, as every game that
runs on the 5620 that I have seen runs in this manner.

Randy