[comp.unix.wizards] AT *speed*

donn@rice.EDU (Donn Baumgartner) (09/17/87)

Larry McVoy basically complained that he had seen just the opposite,
albeit "only a little tiny bit slower", and proceeded to give standard numbers
associated with AT machine's disk speeds, cpu speeds, and memory count.
The jist being that an AT running some non-BSD un*x system appeared to be
slower than a vax 750 (probably not running xenix).

To this, Ron Natalie (basically) responds that Larry's comparison is not
a fair one.
Apples and oranges?  Maybe.  Let me clarify just a little:
  (1) the benchmarks are not comprehensive, and did not include disk bench
      marks (I said simple benchmarks, and I meant it);
  (2) a standard AT disk has a '28 ms' random access time, it's sequential
      read time (for loading, etc.) is typically 2 to 3 times that;
  (3) if you spent as much money on an AT disk as you will for a vax disk,
      the AT would fly;
  (4) an AT with only 1.5Mb of RAM running BSD or any other un*x is a crippled
      machine (how much memory did your vax 750 have?) (I should mention that
      AT RAM is considerably cheaper than vax RAM);
  (5) the 4.3 port to the AT is using the bsd fast filesystem - theoretically
      that will make it faster than your average xenix filesystem
  (6) the drystone benchmark (a pseudo-typical C program) shows one very
      important thing, that not all C compilers are created equal.  I have
      run that benchmark under DOS (3 compilers), PC/IX (it's compiler), and
      a xenix (it's compiler); all the times were different, with pc/ix taking
      top honors at '1215' (8MHz AT)... some of the times were slower than the
      vax time on the same code (but *different* compiler).
  (7) the simple bench we used for comparison ... a shell scipt which spawns
      /bin/echo many times in a loop, runs faster on the AT than the vax.
      The usefulness of that bench is also questionable.

OK, so what's my jist?  Well, first, I only use the vax for comparison because
it has in some sense become a standard to compare against.  My point was that
an AT running 4.3 bsd should make a cost effective, reasonably fast, personal
work station.  It's not a vax, or a sun, and should not be directly compared
with either (especially on pricing :-).  And then there's my bias; why would
I tell you negative things about the machine I'm helping port 4.3 to...

- Donn Baumgartner

allyn@sdcsvax.UUCP (09/17/87)

In article <9338@brl-adm.ARPA>, donn@rice.EDU (Donn Baumgartner) writes:
> Larry McVoy basically complained that he had seen just the opposite,
> albeit "only a little tiny bit slower", and proceeded to give standard numbers
> associated with AT machine's disk speeds, cpu speeds, and memory count.
> The jist being that an AT running some non-BSD un*x system appeared to be
> slower than a vax 750 (probably not running xenix).

i've just been doing some (trivial) benchmarks of an IBM PC/AT (and the other
PC models), a VAX-11/780 and a SUN-3/110.  they might be of slight interest
to somebody, so here they are.

please no flames about this benchmark.  it obviously doesn't test any i/o,
context switching, system calls or anything else.  just some probably useless
measurement of processor speed.  all timing was done with either the csh
built-in "time" or /bin/time.  all machines were in multi-user mode, so the
time reported is just the sum of the user and system time, not the elapsed
time.

operating systems:
VAX	4.3 BSD		(looks to have an FPA from the benchmarks)
SUN	SunOS 3.2
PC/AT	PC/IX 1.1	(has an 80287, ~8.5 MHz processor speed)
PC/XT	PC/IX 1.1	(has an 8087)
PC	PC/IX 1.1	(uses PC/IX software floating point simulation)

this (admittedly stupid) benchmark (10,001,000 additions/increments):

main()
{
	register x, y;

	for (y = 0; y < 1000; y++)
		for (x = 0; x < 10000; x++);
}

took the following times (seconds user+system, not wall clock):
sun-3/110 (chems1.ucsd.edu)	8.5
vax-11/780 (sdcsvax.ucsd.edu)	22.2
ibm pc/at (robin.emu.ucsd.edu)	26.3
ibm pc/xt (sdemu.ucsd.edu)	101.1

the same program with the declaration line changed to:

	int x, y;

(without registers) took:
sun-3/110		15.8
vax-11/780		33.2
ibm pc/at		45.3
ibm pc/xt		205.9

this floating point program (1,000,100 floating point add/increments):

main()
{
	float x, y;

	for (y = 0; y < 100; y++)
		for (x = 0; x < 10000; x++);
}

took:
vax-11/780			20.5
sun-3/110			52.5
ibm pc/at			88.6
ibm pc/xt (sdemu.ucsd.edu)	135.0	(8087)
ibm pc (kiwi.emu.ucsd.edu)	5701.7	(software fp) (that is NOT a typo)
					(that's over 1.5 HOURS)

and the same program with variables changed to double from float:
vax-11/780			17.2
sun-3/110			65.7
ibm pc/at			95.2
ibm pc/xt 			146.2	(8087)
ibm pc 				?	(software fp) (i wasn't about to wait)
--
 From the virtual mind of Allyn Fratkin            allyn@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu    or
                          EMU Project              {ucbvax, decvax, ihnp4}

Leisner.Henr@Xerox.COM (marty) (09/17/87)

Donn,

FYI,

My timings for Dhrystone with Aztec C 3.4 --

[0:811] dry
Dhrystone(1.1) time for 50000 passes = 32
This machine benchmarks at 1562 dhrystones/second

This is with several 186 optimization switched on.

marty
GV:  leisner.henr
NS:  martin leisner:henr801c:xerox
UUCP: martyl@rocksvax.uucp

allyn@sdcsvax.UUCP (09/17/87)

In article <3891@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, I posted the following benchmark:
> main()
> {
> 	float x, y;
>
> 	for (y = 0; y < 100; y++)
> 		for (x = 0; x < 10000; x++);
> }

with the following times (in seconds user+system time, vax included for
comparison):

> vax-11/780			20.5
> sun-3/110			52.5
>
> and the same program with variables changed to double from float:
> vax-11/780			17.2
> sun-3/110			65.7

david@sun.com (David DiGiacomo) pointed out that i was using software
floating point on the sun.  so i re-ran the benchmarks for the
sun using both the 68881 and the fpa.

floats:
sun-3/110			6.0	(fpa)
vax-11/780			20.5
sun-3/110			22.9	(68881)
sun-3/110			52.5	(software fp)

doubles:
sun-3/110			9.9	(fpa)
vax-11/780			17.2
sun-3/110			21.6	(68881)
sun-3/110			65.7	(software fp)

--
 From the virtual mind of Allyn Fratkin            allyn@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu    or

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (09/24/87)

As quoted from <9338@brl-adm.ARPA> by donn@rice.EDU (Donn Baumgartner):
+---------------
|   (5) the 4.3 port to the AT is using the bsd fast filesystem - theoretically
|       that will make it faster than your average xenix filesystem

I think I already nipped this one in the bud; the Altos 886 (80286, and
roughly the same controler and definitely the same drives as the AT) can
be used with the "BoosterPak", which is a BSD fast file system, or with the
standard Xenix filesystem.  I've noticed very little difference between
the two.
--
	    Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
  {{harvard,mit-eddie}!necntc,well!hoptoad,sun!mandrill!hal}!ncoast!allbery