[comp.unix.wizards] rlogin in background strangeness.

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (08/15/87)

	Here's a strange one.  From my MtXinu 4.3BSD/NFS Vax-11/750, I do
"rlogin alanine &", where alanine is a Sun-3/50 running SunOS-3.0.
Eventually the rlogin completes and gets blocked for tty output (I use
tostop mode).  When I do a "fg", I get a burst of noise in addition to the
regular output.

	Well, it's even stranger than that.  The noise is repeatable.  It's
always "ss^@^X^@P^@^@^@^@".  At least that's what I see on my screen
(CIT-101, a vt-100ish clone).  It also happens when I try other 3.0
machines (various Sun-3 models) but not with 3.2 machines.  Never happens
if I don't run the rlogin in the background, and doesn't happen if I
suspend an active rlogin and restart it.  Anybody know what's going on?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (08/17/87)

In article <2850@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>... I get a burst of noise in addition to the regular output.
>Well, it's even stranger than that.  The noise is repeatable.  It's
>always "ss^@^X^@P^@^@^@^@".

This one is easy.  It is really

	<DEL><DEL> s s <NUL><CAN><NUL> P <NUL><NUL><NUL><NUL>,

and this is window_size = 24 rows 80 cols, 0 ypixels 0 xpixels.

Your Vax is trying to tell your Sun about its `window size',
and your Sun is not listening.  Why it breaks I cannot say; we
run locally hacked versions of rlogin and kernels on our Suns.
Domain:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu	Path:	seismo!mimsy!chris

ram%shukra@Sun.COM (Renu Raman, Sun Microsystems) (08/17/87)

   Another strange but similar problem is rcp/rlogin etc work
   fine from a Sun (3.0) to a Vax (4.3) but doing the other way around
   dumps core on the Sun.  Don't know why  and didn't have the time to
   figure out why before I moved in here.

---------------------
   Renu Raman				ARPA:ram@sun.com
   Sun Microsystems			UUCP:{ucbvax,seismo,hplabs}!sun!ram
   M/S 5-40, 2500 Garcia Avenue,
   Mt. View,  CA 94043

In article <7997@mimsy.UUCP>, chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
> In article <2850@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>> [When running "rlogin sun &", I get noise that is always
>> "ss^@^X^@P^@^@^@^@".]

> This one is easy.  It is really

> 	<DEL><DEL> s s <NUL><CAN><NUL> P <NUL><NUL><NUL><NUL>,

Shouldn't those two <DEL>s be <META-NUL>s?  (Forgive the perversion of
the ASCII names, please....)

> Your Vax is trying to tell your Sun about its `window size', and your
> Sun is not listening.

Indeed it is trying.  Why it breaks is not clear.  What is really hard
to understand is why this junk is visible only when the rlogin is run
in the background, because normally rlogin doesn't try to tell the
rlogind about the window size unless the rlogind volunteers the
information that it is interested.

					der Mouse

				(mouse@mcgill-vision.uucp)

merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) (09/11/87)

1.  The Sun-4 does have ECC (error-correcting core) memory.
So, for that matter, do the Sun-3/2xx systems.  Mine 3/280 has 8
megs, and has been running for almost 3 months, without even
correctable error.

2.  There is a system with the file system in memory, sort of.  In
the Xerox lisp machines, there is no regular file system.  There
are only "objects", which are memory-resident.  The system saves
"worlds" on the disk (in addition to VM paging space).  A world is
merely a copy of the virtual memory space.

3.  300 megabytes is not sufficient as a design limitation.  Most
people won't need that much, of course, but some need more.  I
have 14 lisp machines here.  Most have at least 400 megabytes of
paging space, and several have over 1000 megs!  Even so, some
applications have to be split over several machines via remote
procedure calls.
--
David S. Hayes, The Merlin of Avalon	PhoneNet:  (202) 694-6900
UUCP:  *!uunet!cos!hqda-ai!merlin	ARPA:  merlin%hqda-ai@mimsy.ue, a.

scc@cl.cam.ac.uk (Stephen Crawley) (09/24/87)

In article <424@hqda-ai.UUCP> merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) writes:
>2.  There is a system with the file system in memory, sort of.  In
>the Xerox lisp machines, there is no regular file system.  There
>are only "objects", which are memory-resident.  The system saves
>"worlds" on the disk (in addition to VM paging space).  A world is
>merely a copy of the virtual memory space.

Sorry Dave, but you are only partly right.  A Xerox Lisp machine is
normally configured to have a conventional file system on the local
disc (your LispFiles volume ...).  In addition, files can be stored
on a remote XNS fileserver.

Though a "world" (actually a "sysout") may be saved to disc and used
like a file system, users generally use a real filesystem as well.  The
problem with using a sysout as your only filesystem is that when Lisp
falls over or someone trips over the power cord, you may be left with a
badly corrupted sysout, and no way to scavenge it.  This is not my
idea of what a file system ought to be like.

[What has this to do with rlogin?]

-- Steve