[comp.unix.wizards] GNU and Personal Computers with VM.

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (01/01/70)

As quoted from <14329@topaz.rutgers.edu> by ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie):
+---------------
| Foo.  Personal computers have VM.  Most PC OS's don't use the VM that they
| have which is what the problem is.  Even the 286 has the VM capability.
| Buy a 386.
+---------------

The !@#$%&* bank won't approve me for a loan for a "fire sale" 3B1, and you
want me to buy a 386 box for $5000 or so???!  (No, I _don't_ have an AT, so
an Intel 386 motherboard isn't an option.)

Son, not everyone can afford to buy a GoshWhizBang 9000.  So we can't run
GNU.  That's the long and the short of it, and political/religious discussions
won't have any effect on it.  (sigh)
--
	    Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
  {{harvard,mit-eddie}!necntc,well!hoptoad,sun!mandrill!hal}!ncoast!allbery

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (08/31/87)

Foo.  Personal computers have VM.  Most PC OS's don't use the VM that they
have which is what the problem is.  Even the 286 has the VM capability.

If RMS doesn't want to port GNU to any random architecture, so what?  RMS
didn't move EMACS to any of the zillion of wierd things that it is running
on now (He doesn't even have a CRAY).

The whole fiasco started when someone pointed out that there was one header
file that used a integral type where a pointer was called for which a EMACS
porter found.  He posted these changes eliciting a snide comment about the
architecture.  Frankly, given sufficient memory I see no reason why GNU tools
(perhaps not without effort) can't be ported to an AT.  The C compiler was
probably the hardest part.

Buy a 386.

rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) (09/14/87)

   The !@#$%&* bank won't approve me for a loan for a "fire sale" 3B1, and you
   want me to buy a 386 box for $5000 or so???!  (No, I _don't_ have an AT, so
   an Intel 386 motherboard isn't an option.)

   Son, not everyone can afford to buy a GoshWhizBang 9000.  So we can't run
   GNU.  That's the long and the short of it, and
   political/religious discussions won't have any effect on it.  (sigh)

What I have never understood is why people spend real money on toy
computers when they can play on real ones at work. Buy a terminal
and a modem for home use.

	       Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
     {{harvard,mit-eddie}!necntc,well!hoptoad,sun!mandrill!hal}!ncoast!allbery
   ARPA: necntc!ncoast!allbery@harvard.harvard.edu  Fido: 157/502  MCI: BALLBERY
      <<ncoast Public Access UNIX: +1 216 781 6201 24hrs. 300/1200/2400 baud>>
   ** Site "cwruecmp" has changed its name to "mandrill".  Please re-address **
   *** all mail to ncoast to pass through "mandrill" instead of "cwruecmp". ***

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	I am covered with pure vegetable oil and I am writing a best seller!

rjd@tiger.UUCP (09/16/87)

>    The !@#$%&* bank won't approve me for a loan for a "fire sale" 3B1, and you
>    want me to buy a 386 box for $5000 or so???!  (No, I _don't_ have an AT, so
>    an Intel 386 motherboard isn't an option.)
>
>    Son, not everyone can afford to buy a GoshWhizBang 9000.  So we can't run
>    GNU.  That's the long and the short of it, and
>    political/religious discussions won't have any effect on it.  (sigh)
>
> What I have never understood is why people spend real money on toy
> computers when they can play on real ones at work. Buy a terminal
> and a modem for home use.

  Well, I have a possible reason, but it is exactly what you said; a toy.  I,
personally, do not own a home computer because I have been loaned a terminal
with modem by my employer (AT&T) which enables them to get a great deal of work
out of me that I do not bother to charge them for, being the dedicated person
that I am (I really am more than half serious about this).
   But, the other day, I saw an Amiga doing some graphics.  Now, THAT is
something I would ALMOST go out and pay good money for: because I have always
loved to work in graphics, and, sorry, 1200 baud on a DMD is not quite the
same....  Once I get some extra money, I might start seriously start looking
for a good graphics system with a lot of game packages.
   You are right, the work can be done on the work computers!!!  (But the fun
stuff can be had on the toys...  And I am not saying that an Amiga is a toy,
as I have no idea, it is just what I would be using it as if I had one.)

Randy

sanders@convex.UUCP (09/16/87)

/* Written  6:09 pm  Sep 14, 1987 by aglew%xenurus@gswd-vms.Gould.COM in convex:comp.unix.wizards */
What I have never understood is why people spend their employer's
money playing at work when they could have a real computer at home.

-------------

I have a real computer at work.  (many in fact) I prefer to "play"
at work, thank you very much.

sanders

jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) (09/19/87)

In article <9279@brl-adm.ARPA>, rbj@icst-cmr.arpa writes:
> What I have never understood is why people spend real money on toy
> computers when they can play on real ones at work. Buy a terminal
> and a modem for home use.

Not everyone's real computer runs Unix...If you could get netnews running on
an MVS system under TSO, I'd consider it. Until then, I get to do this on my
"toy" PC/AT clone at home.

--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC (@WB5BBW)...>splut!< | uucp: hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!splut!jay
Never ascribe to malice that which can |        or sun!housun!nuchat!--^

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (09/19/87)

As quoted from <9279@brl-adm.ARPA> by rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim):
+---------------
|    Son, not everyone can afford to buy a GoshWhizBang 9000.  So we can't run
|    GNU.  That's the long and the short of it, and
|    political/religious discussions won't have any effect on it.  (sigh)
|
| What I have never understood is why people spend real money on toy
| computers when they can play on real ones at work. Buy a terminal
| and a modem for home use.
+---------------

Sigh.  Please look at the Organization: line -- I don't *use* the computer
at work for this!!!  2400 baud and sharing limited cycles with many other
users playing around on slow old ncoast just doesn't do it.  Eh?

(The computer at work is currently an Altos 986, and doesn't have a modem.
And Minix is faster than it is.  [The 386 is at a client's site.])
--
	    Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
  {{harvard,mit-eddie}!necntc,well!hoptoad,sun!mandrill!hal}!ncoast!allbery
ARPA: necntc!ncoast!allbery@harvard.harvard.edu  Fido: 157/502  MCI: BALLBERY
   <<ncoast Public Access UNIX: +1 216 781 6201 24hrs. 300/1200/2400 baud>>
All opinions in this message are random characters produced when my cat jumped
(-:		      up onto the keyboard of my PC.			   :-)

rich@oxtrap.UUCP (09/19/87)

In article <9279@brl-adm.ARPA> rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) writes:
>What I have never understood is why people spend real money on toy
>computers when they can play on real ones at work. Buy a terminal
>and a modem for home use.

How about, uucp speaks 2400 baud faster than I do and work is a zone
call.  (local-by-the-minute for those not familier with mich bell).

elg@usl.UUCP (09/19/87)

in article <9279@brl-adm.ARPA>, rbj@icst-cmr.arpa says:
>    The !@#$%&* bank won't approve me for a loan for a "fire sale" 3B1, and you
>    want me to buy a 386 box for $5000 or so???!  (No, I _don't_ have an AT, so
>    an Intel 386 motherboard isn't an option.)

So buy a clone with a 386 motherboard. I've seen 386 clones down to
$2400 or less in the pages of Computer Shopper, using the Intel
motherboard. If I was a gainfully employed person, I'd have no trouble
getting one (alas, I'm so stereotypical "poor college student" that
it's pathetic). Oops, I forgot, you work for government, so you must
not be gainfully employed :-).
--
Eric Green  elg@usl.CSNET           day is done, the song is over,
{akgua,killer}!usl!elg              thought I'd something more to say....

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (09/26/87)

As quoted from <166@usl> by elg@usl (Eric Lee Green):
+---------------
| in article <9279@brl-adm.ARPA>, rbj@icst-cmr.arpa says:
+---------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ????!

uh, hey guys, the quote below is MINE... and I ain't noway "rbj@icst-cmr.arpa"!
Who's the sloppy attribution editor???

+---------------
| >    The !@#$%&* bank won't approve me for a loan for a "fire sale" 3B1, and you
| >    want me to buy a 386 box for $5000 or so???!  (No, I _don't_ have an AT, so
| >    an Intel 386 motherboard isn't an option.)
|
| So buy a clone with a 386 motherboard. I've seen 386 clones down to
| $2400 or less in the pages of Computer Shopper, using the Intel
| motherboard. If I was a gainfully employed person, I'd have no trouble
| getting one (alas, I'm so stereotypical "poor college student" that
| it's pathetic). Oops, I forgot, you work for government, so you must
| not be gainfully employed :-).
+---------------

Given the misattribution above, I will assume you really didn't mean to aim
that at me.  But I *am* gainfully employed, as a programmer trying to save the
*sses of small computer users.  (The bank doesn't agree ;-( but I found another
financial institution which was willing to grant me the loan, so I now have
my 3B.  Since it comes with UN*X and the clones come with MessDos, I'm ahead.)
--
	    Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
  {{harvard,mit-eddie}!necntc,well!hoptoad,sun!mandrill!hal}!ncoast!allbery
ARPA: necntc!ncoast!allbery@harvard.harvard.edu  Fido: 157/502  MCI: BALLBERY
   <<ncoast Public Access UNIX: +1 216 781 6201 24hrs. 300/1200/2400 baud>>
			"Mummy, what's an opinion?"