[comp.unix.wizards] microport

csreid%brock.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET (Michael Reid) (10/04/87)

Marc de Groot @ Microport Systems, Inc. writes:

>Not only is Microport shipping 386 UNIX, Microport was the first company
>to ship 386 UNIX, to my knowledge. Was anyone shipping 386 UNIX before June
>25th of this year?

        And to whom was was Microport shipping? Certainly not to
end users such as myself. The explanation I got in july was that
it was in beta release and no I could not get it just yet.
        To top that off Microport was no longer accepting purchase
orders from educational institutions due to a bad payments record.
Fishy,fishy,fishy. And no, the salespeople who couldn't answer my
tech questions couldn't seem to be able to get anyone in the know
to call me back, and no, I couldn't call them direct.
        Forget it sir, I've gone with SCO. I shall wait patiently
for their sysVr3 real UNIX due in '88. In the meantime I have great
support, a stable os and a vendor without cash-flow problems.
I could care less who shipped first. We customers care more about
product quality and service.
        BTW of the 6 customers I was given as references 3 could not
be reached, 1 had left the company and 2 had not very nice things to
say. Granted that this is a small statistical sample but I am busy.

<EOF>