[comp.unix.wizards] a

billa@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Anderson) (10/13/87)

From ihnp4!ptsfa!lll-tis!lll-lcc!lll-winken!uunet!mnetor!utzoo!henry Sat Oct 10 18:16:09 1987
From: henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer)
Newsgroups: comp.arch,comp.unix.wizards,comp.os.minix
Subject: Re: pdp-11/55
Date: 10 Oct 87 23:16:09 GMT

> ...  Down the road, a different school at a 60 and was able to
> support about the same number of people, so I guess the two machines
> were roughly equivalent.

Choke cough.  No.  The 60 was grossly inferior to the 70 in most ways:
hardware address space, integer processing speed, I/O bandwidth, etc.
Its optional floating-point hardware was (I think) the same as the 70's.
Otherwise, it was a piece of junk.  There has been persistent speculation
that the original 60 was much faster than the one that was finally released
to the customers; it is hard to see how it could possibly deserve that
model number otherwise.  A well-equipped 45 was a better machine, and the
55 could run rings around it.  The (slightly later) 44 was superior to the
60 in every way except floating-point, where the 44's lousy FPP (a slight
variant of the 34 FPP) held it back.
--
"Mir" means "peace", as in           |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"the war is over; we've won".        | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

You may think you won a war, but you keep posting irrelevant messages
to comp.os.minix

Don't you know how to post to the correct newsgroup?  Please learn!C