[comp.unix.wizards] Memoryuse limit

murray@umn-cs.UUCP (William Murray) (10/16/87)

     We have a Vax 11/780 running Mt. Xinu.  A user on the system is having
a problem running a lisp program.  At some point during the run, the system
gives him a message such as "memoryuse limit reached" and then stops execution
of the program.  I have looked for a way to increase the memoryuse for the
user but so far haven't found the answer.
     Has anyone been faced with this problem and found a solution?  If you
have I would appreciate any insight and help.

Thank-you

William Murray
murray@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

forys@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Jeff Forys) (10/18/87)

In article <2369@umn-cs.UUCP> murray@umn-cs.UUCP (William Murray) writes:
> We have a Vax 11/780 running Mt. Xinu.  At some point during the run, the
> system gives [a] message such as "memoryuse limit reached" and then stops
> execution of the program.

Your kernel is complaining about your memoryuse limit?  Is this an added
feature from Mt. Xinu?  As far as I know, under 4.3BSD, nothing actually
checks your memoryuse limit, however, next time the pageout daemon gets
fired up, your process becomes a prime candidate for having it's pages
stealed.  Did I overlook something in there (hard to believe :-)?

> I have looked for a way to increase the memoryuse for the user but so
> far haven't found the answer.

The resource limits (including memoryuse) can be raised/lowered using
the "limit" command of `csh'.  It is documented in the `csh' manual
page.  Under 4.2/3 BSD, the limit defaults to nearly all of available
memory.  If the command `limit memoryuse' yields "umlimited" (4.2BSD)
or equals `limit -h memoryuse' (4.3BSD) the limit can not be raised
without "superuser intervention" (i.e. you'll have to write a little
setuid-root program for him).
---
Jeff Forys @ UC/Boulder Engineering Research Comp Cntr (303-492-4991)
forys@boulder.Colorado.EDU  -or-  ..!{hao|nbires}!boulder!forys