[comp.unix.wizards] Modest proposal

dan@srs.UUCP (Dan Kegel) (10/20/87)

> In article <7527@g.ms.uky.edu>, sean@ukma.UUCP writes:
> > I'm trying to use qsort for the first time and I'm having a bit of trouble.
> Try
> 	qsort(&t[0], 2, sizeof(struct tstr), compar);
> As you wrote it, you're calling compar with no arguments.
> Presto, instant core dump!

I bet sean got about fifty replies to his question.

It seems to me that any easy question to the net yields far too many

Why don't we start a collision-avoidance convention?
If you see an easy question, and you want to answer it, roll a
twenty-sided die; if it comes up 1, answer the question; otherwise
wait to see if somebody else does first.

The only drawback I see to this is that the people who can answer the
Really Tough Questions think all questions are easy :-)

- Dan 'irate citizen' Kegel

matt@oddjob.UChicago.EDU (Schizophrenic Solipsist) (10/28/87)

)
) Why don't we start a collision-avoidance convention?
) If you see an easy question, and you want to answer it, roll a
) twenty-sided die; if it comes up 1, answer the question; otherwise
) wait to see if somebody else does first.

Aside from the fact that only a certain <characterization deleted>
type of person has such dice around, there's a better solution.

	Send your answer by mail to the person who asked!

If the question really *is* elementary, the rest of the world doesn't
care to see your answer.  If the question is *not* trivial, anyone
who also wants to know the answer can say so by mail.  If the
questioner gets many "me too"s they can post one or two of the
answers.
				Matt Crawford

jfh@killer.UUCP (10/28/87)

In article <414@srs.UUCP>, dan@srs.UUCP (Dan Kegel) writes:
> > In article <7527@g.ms.uky.edu>, sean@ukma.UUCP writes:
> > > I'm trying to use qsort for the first time and I'm having a bit of trouble.
> > Try
> > 	qsort(&t[0], 2, sizeof(struct tstr), compar);
>
> I bet sean got about fifty replies to his question.
>
> It seems to me that any easy question to the net yields far too many
>
> Why don't we start a collision-avoidance convention?
> If you see an easy question, and you want to answer it, roll a
> twenty-sided die; if it comes up 1, answer the question; otherwise
> wait to see if somebody else does first.
>
> - Dan 'irate citizen' Kegel

How about a moderated group?  We could call it comp.unix.rtfm.  Not out
of disrespect to the neophytes who don't know what the hell they are doing,
but out of the reality that Unix manuals are cryptic (and I ain't complainin'
'bout it no-how).

Seems someone with heavy USG/BSD experience could answer the questions much
more better for both groups without the `but that don't work in Berzekely
land' flameage.

How about it?  Anyone want to second the motion?

Inews
fodder
Inews
fodder

- John.
--
John F. Haugh II		HECI Exploration Co. Inc.
UUCP:	...!ihnp4!killer!jfh	11910 Greenville Ave, Suite 600

duk@ace.UUCP (Duk Bekema) (10/29/87)

In article <414@srs.UUCP> dan@srs.UUCP (Dan Kegel) writes:
[You may only answer an easy question if you roll 1 with a 20-sided die]
>The only drawback I see to this is that the people who can answer the
>Really Tough Questions think all questions are easy :-)

No, the problem is lots of people think easy questions are Really Tough,
so they wouldn't roll a die before they answer.
AND of course, most send a followup instead of a reply.
--

Duk Bekema
...!{seismo|decvax|philabs}!mcvax!ace!duk