[comp.unix.wizards] AT&T/Sun merged OS

In article <1803@unc.cs.unc.edu> leech@unc.UUCP (Jonathan Leech) writes:
>... does this mean that the SVID will grow to
>encompass the additional Sun OS material, or will this be a separate
>product from System V?

As it was explained to me, Sun has already been influencing the SVID,
and that would continue, along with modification to SunOS so that by
the end of Phase I (1988) SunOS (at least on the SPARC machines)
would be fully SVID-compliant.  Note that the forthcoming ANSI C
standard and POSIX (including the POSIX-based FIPS) are also likely to
have significant impact on the direction the SVID takes.

The resulting evolved SunOS will then be marketed by both Sun and AT&T
under the "System V" banner.  It sure sounds to me that the intent is
to make this merged OS the future official System V porting base.

davel@hpisoa1.HP.COM (Dave Lennert) (10/31/87)

I recall that in the recent past the following company pairs
have announced their intention to jointly define THE unix os:

	AT&T / Microsoft	(for the 386)
	AT&T / Sun		(for the SPARC)
	Sun  / National Advanced Systems (subsidiary of National Semiconductor)

Note that both Sun and AT&T have jointly agreed to develop this standard
with each other and with someone else.

Is this a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing?
Or does this imply that National Advanced Systems is now working with
Microscoft?  (Are legal agreements transitive? ;-) )

"The future of Unix will be determined by..., what's today? Tuesday?, oh...
by AT&T and Sun."

-Dave Lennert   HP   ihnp4!hplabs!hpda!davel