[comp.unix.wizards] The need for BSD.

bh0r@clutx.clarkson.EDU (Rob Logan) (10/30/87)

> From: mike@nrl-ssd.arpa
> Subject: 4.X BSD for a MAC II

I talked to the software jock that did the MAC II port of V.3.  (note:
it was done outside Apple) Although not a 4.2 product banged into sys V
like SUN did it does have lots of the BSD things we need.  It is baced
on V.3 but it has: vnodes, NFS, job controle (^z), and BSD sockets, but
still no file striping.

In review: I have not found a cheaper box with ^z. If some
one knows of one pls let me know.....

				Rob

bh0r@clutx.clarkson.edu
315-268-2292

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (11/03/87)

In article <10069@brl-adm.ARPA> bh0r@clutx.clarkson.EDU (Rob Logan) writes:
>I talked to the software jock that did the MAC II port of V.3.  (note:
>it was done outside Apple) Although not a 4.2 product banged into sys V
>like SUN did it does have lots of the BSD things we need.  It is baced
>on V.3 but it has: vnodes, NFS, job controle (^z), and BSD sockets, but
>still no file striping.

This is a minor gripe but, I believe it does not have ^W or ^R and
does not delete tabs in new crt mode "correctly". I hope many
customers will ask for it because I like to have that functionality
and there's a strong chance I'll be using that software.

(what do you mean "The software jock"? I'm sure more than one person
worked on it.)

--
I speak for myself, not the company.

Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com