[comp.unix.wizards] Porting Macsyma to sun3s

stevec@sfu_taurus.cs.sfu (11/06/87)

My site is running UNIX MACSYMA release 304 on a Vax 750.

The sad part is that somebody (for some reason) is buying the thing.
My boss wants me to try porting the system to run on a sun3  running
a 4.2 equivalent version.

I am apprehensive about this.

Has anyone tried to do this and suceeded?
Any advice would be appreciated.

<<I>> know we ought to spring for a new release, for gawds sake,
but I only work here.

Steve Cumming

{bakbone}unc-vision!fornax!stevec

P.S. Which news group should this go to? Can't seem to find one.

ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) (11/10/87)

In article <81900004@sfu_taurus> stevec@sfu_taurus.cs.sfu writes:
>The sad part is that somebody (for some reason) is buying the thing.
>My boss wants me to try porting the system to run on a sun3  running
>a 4.2 equivalent version.
>
>I am apprehensive about this.

I would be apprehensive too as the Symbolics people license and sell a
version of MACSYMA for the Sun.  Tell your boss that whoever is buying
the Sun should fork over the cash and get a licensed copy.
Universities get a pretty reasonable discount from Symbolics.

--
Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@psuvax1.{psu.edu,bitnet,uucp}>
The Pennsylvania State University, Department of Computer Science

bzs@bu-cs.bu.EDU (Barry Shein) (11/11/87)

Several of us have already ported Macsyma to the Sun3 and other
systems. A single version which runs on Vax/4.3, Nil, Sun3, Encore
Multimax, Celerity and probably a few others I forgot will be in
NESC's hands shortly for public distribution. It also has a lot of
features which haven't worked in a long time put all back together
(particularly in the graphics packages and the help stuff.)

If you wanted to port what you have to the Sun3 yourself it's not very
hard assuming you have a correctly working Franz Lisp (the one with
my* changes for the Sun3 obviously works) and are comfortable with
such things but you'll be better off waiting for this as you'd be
porting an inferior version of the code.  A KCL version is being
looked at, one is available based on the earlier MacSyma release.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

* "my" in a collective sense, others worked on it also who deserve
credit, I mainly mean most people probably get it from me.

webber@athos.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (11/13/87)

In article <3068@psuvax1.psu.edu>, ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
> In article <81900004@sfu_taurus> stevec@sfu_taurus.cs.sfu writes:
> >The sad part is that somebody (for some reason) is buying the thing.
> >My boss wants me to try porting the system to run on a sun3  running
> >a 4.2 equivalent version.
> >I am apprehensive about this.
> I would be apprehensive too as the Symbolics people license and sell a
> version of MACSYMA for the Sun.  Tell your boss that whoever is buying
> the Sun should fork over the cash and get a licensed copy.
> Universities get a pretty reasonable discount from Symbolics.

The issues of rights on MACSYMA software are probably even more exotic
than those with regards to GNU emacs.  The Symbolics people have no
more of a corner on this market than Unipress does on Emacs ports.
Besides different MACSYMA variants, there are also a number of
alternative symbolic math programs available for the Sun workstation.
Most of this sort of software is developed at University research labs
so it is usually offered on a different basis than regular commericial
software.

For more details, see the news group sci.math.symbolic (see the list
of active news groups in news.lists).  Incidently, ``symbolic'' refers
to ``symbolic mathematics'' and NOT ``Symbolics.''

--------- BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!webber)

p.s.,  what mailers recognize .sfu as a domain?