[comp.unix.wizards] termcaps vs terminfo

UUCJEFF%ECNCDC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (11/25/87)

I have a problem on my 3B2.  It seems there is a terminal listed in the
/etc/termcap file, but not in the /usr/lib/terminfo files.  Therefore,
when you set the TERM to this terminal and VI, it says unkown termdef.
The format the termcap is in is not the same as the terminfo file,
the manual says you must compile with curses, but it doesn't say how.

What I would like to do is take the termdef in termcap and compile it and
put it in the /usr/lib/terminfo.

Can anyone help?    Thanks for any help, Jeff Beer, UUCJEFF@ECNCDC

ekrell@hector.UUCP (11/25/87)

In article <10531@brl-adm.ARPA> UUCJEFF%ECNCDC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:

>What I would like to do is take the termdef in termcap and compile it and
>put it in the /usr/lib/terminfo.

look at "captoinfo". The man page says:

captoinfo - convert a termcap description into a terminfo description

Isn't it nice when you find a tool that does exactly what you wanted?

    Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill

    {ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell

In article <3221@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> ekrell@hector (Eduardo Krell) writes:
>look at "captoinfo". The man page says:
>captoinfo - convert a termcap description into a terminfo description

Then look up "tic" to find out what to do with the terminfo description.

brad@bradley.UUCP (11/27/87)

We use captoinfo(1) to take termcaps -> terminfo.  Makes supporting
sysv easier when you bsd type machines.

Bradley Smith			UUCP: {cepu,ihnp4,noao,uiucdcs}!bradley!brad
Text Processing			ARPA: cepu!bradley!brad@CS.UCLA
Bradley University		PH: (309) 677-2337
Peoria, IL 61625

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (11/29/87)

> >What I would like to do is take the termdef in termcap and compile it and
> >put it in the /usr/lib/terminfo.
>
> look at "captoinfo". The man page says:
>	 captoinfo - convert a termcap description into a terminfo description
> Isn't it nice when you find a tool that does exactly what you wanted?

Sure is.  But it doesn't exist in any of the libraries here.  Does
anyone out there know how to get ahold of this program?  Is it a
commercial product or part of some Unix license?  Is it PD?  Lots
of people might have a use for it.

[It sure would be nice if I could run rn or vnews from this terminal. :-]

--
John Chambers <{adelie,ima,maynard,mit-eddie}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)

jec@nesac2.UUCP (John Carter ATLN SADM) (11/30/87)

]
] What I would like to do is take the termdef in termcap and compile it and
] put it in the /usr/lib/terminfo.
]
] Can anyone help?    Thanks for any help, Jeff Beer, UUCJEFF@ECNCDC

A termcap to terminfo translator was posted to the net some time
ago.  I'd mail a copy, but I'm not sure the path is good.  (One of
the in-between systems doesn't handle "@" paths.)

Contact me for more info.
--
USnail: John Carter, AT&T, Atlanta RWC, 3001 Cobb Parkway, Atlanta GA 30339
Video:	...ihnp4!cuea2!ltuxa!ll1!nesac2!jec    Voice: 404+951-4642

zam@mhuxu.UUCP (Martin Zam) (12/01/87)

	Look up the man page for "tic".