[comp.unix.wizards] Need a XENIX VT100 emulator

V2002A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (10/23/87)

Hi,

     I have a user who wants to convert from MS-DOS to XENIX.
Our problem is that he currently uses SMARTERM 220 to communicate
with our PDP-11/44.  It's an MS-DOS VTxxx emulator/comm package.
     Can anyone reccommend a similar XENIX package for less than
$175.  It MUST do VT100 perfectly (AVO, double size characters
all set/reset mode commands and printer handling included).  I've
tested several "VT100" emulators and had them come up short with
DECs FMS-11 and DECMAIL.  Public domain suggestions are also welcome.
     Thanks in advance!

     Andy Wing   V2002A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
                 {your,favorite,link}psuvax1!templevm.bitnet!v2002a

billb@basser.oz (William Baker) (10/30/87)

In article <9936@brl-adm.ARPA> V2002A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU writes:
>     I have a user who wants to convert from MS-DOS to XENIX.
>Our problem is that he currently uses SMARTERM 220 to communicate
>with our PDP-11/44.  It's an MS-DOS VTxxx emulator/comm package.
>     Can anyone reccommend a similar XENIX package for less than
>$175.

(I presume here the Xenix in question is that running on an IBM PC or
 compatible)

The Xenix console driver already emulates an ansi terminal.
Since, (I believe) the ansi terminal is identical to a vt100, your user
has what he needs.
The only cost of course is the Xenix system! :-)

Bill Baker,
Sydney University
AUSTRALIA

tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) (12/03/87)

In article <9936@brl-adm.ARPA> V2002A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU writes:
>    I have a user who wants to convert from MS-DOS to XENIX.
> Our problem is that he currently uses SMARTERM 220 to communicate
> with our PDP-11/44.  It's an MS-DOS VTxxx emulator/comm package.
> Can anyone reccommend a similar XENIX package for less than
> $175.

Try calling Century Software in Salt Lake City:  801-268-3088.
Their product, TERM, is very good, and in your approximate
price range, I think.
--
Tim O'Reilly (617) 527-4210
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks