[comp.unix.wizards] sending mail from uucp to csnet for AT&T folks

jhc@mtune.UUCP (12/06/87)

In article <10660@brl-adm.ARPA> MARSELLE%gmr.com@RELAY.CS.NET writes:
>Can anybody tell me what pathname someone at a uucp site needs to use
>to send mail to me at a csnet site?
>
>The sender is at ihnp4; my csnet address is marselle@gmr.com.

This is a frequently-asked question, and it has a simple answer, so
I'm posting it. Some systems within AT&T support 'smart mailers', and
the way to invoke them is to send mail to

	...!smart-site!RFC976-address!user

In this case it would be ihnp4!gmr.com!marselle. Current large mail
gateways into and out of AT&T which support this syntax are:

	ihnp4 cbosgd mtune clyde codas

There is a simple way for any site to support this syntax directly -
install smail, and route your internet traffic to one of the gateways.

Yes, I know this doesn't belong in UNIX-WIZARDS, but I'm responding.
Followups have been directed to comp.mail.uucp.
--
Jonathan Clark
jhc@mtune.att.com, attmail!jonathan

The Englishman never enjoys himself except for some noble purpose.