[comp.unix.wizards] Looking for DMF-32 sync port IP driver for 4.3BSD

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (12/10/87)

	I'm looking for an IP driver for the synchronous port of a DEC
DMF-32 to be used on a 4.3BSD (actually MtXinu 4.3/NFS) vax.  The standard
4.3 driver doesn't support use of the sync port; is there some reason why,
other than that nobody bothered to write it because they had better
alternative interfaces to use?  Is there some horrible secret about DMF's
which make them lousy network devices?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) (12/11/87)

In article <3061@phri.UUCP>, roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

> 	I'm looking for an IP driver for the synchronous port of a DEC
> DMF-32 to be used on a 4.3BSD (actually MtXinu 4.3/NFS) vax.  The standard
> 4.3 driver doesn't support use of the sync port; is there some reason why,
> other than that nobody bothered to write it because they had better
> alternative interfaces to use?  Is there some horrible secret about DMF's
> which make them lousy network devices?

We have a driver for the synchronous port of the DMF-32 (we added the support
to the 4.3 driver that Keith Muller at UCSD distributes, since the distributed
4.3 driver doesn't handle Emulex boards correctly).  We started with
a 4.2 BSD driver from the Univ. of Guelph that supported the synchronous
port using the IBM Bisynch protocol for RSCS emulation.  Our driver is
used with a proprietary software product that we purchased for SNA
LU6.2/PU 2.1 communications.  We can give the driver mods to handle the
synchronous port to anyone, but we aren't able to distribute the actual
SNA data link protocol routines that is now part of our driver.  The line
counts are:

   (1)	original 4.3 DMF driver from UCSD		1,035 lines
   (2)	our "generic" mods to handle synchronous port	1,230 lines
   (3)	SNA data link code (functions called by driver)	1,794 lines

I can distribute (2) but not (3).  As you can see, depending on the
protocol that you're supporting with the synchronous port, there could
still be a lot of work to do, although I'd guess that SNA PU2.1
support could be close to worst case ??  I'd also guess that the reason
standard 4.3 doesn't support the synchronous port is that item (2) is of
little use without some version of item (3) and there are so many different
uses of the sync. port (SDLC for SNA, HDLC for X.25, GenByte for Bisync,
GenByte for DECnet's DDCMP, etc.).

	Richard Stevens
	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
           { uunet | ihnp4 } ! hsi ! stevens