[comp.unix.wizards] AT&T attitude to educational source

carroll@snail.UUCP (12/04/87)

	As a student at a university that has AT&T source, I found it
difficult to get to see, and I was allowed only the source absolutely
necessary for fixing a particular bug. I'm a grad student in CS, and
system manager for about 30 3b2's running SysVR3.0, and I don't get much
access to AT&T source, and what I do get to see I am expressly forbidden
from letting anyone else (including my assistant sys admins) look at.

Alan M. Carroll		amc@woodshop.cs.uiuc.edu	carroll@s.cs.uiuc.edu
...{ihnp4,convex}!uiucdcs!woodshop!amc
Quote of the day - "No, no, pointers to char are not the same size as char"

wolf@well.UUCP (12/07/87)

In article <5500015@snail>, carroll@snail.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

> 	As a student at a university that has AT&T source, I found it
> difficult to get to see, and I was allowed only the source absolutely
> necessary for fixing a particular bug. I'm a grad student in CS, and
> system manager for about 30 3b2's running SysVR3.0, and I don't get much
> access to AT&T source, and what I do get to see I am expressly forbidden
> from letting anyone else (including my assistant sys admins) look at.
>
> Alan M. Carroll		amc@woodshop.cs.uiuc.edu	carroll@s.cs.uiuc.edu
> ...{ihnp4,convex}!uiucdcs!woodshop!amc

ATT source code for the 286 and 386 UNIX ports is quite availible.
Microport still offers its Educational Site Licensing program. And
even students can look at the source code, hack it up for their AT's,
and make whatever changes that they want. There are two limitations.
First, it only applies to U.S. educational sites. Second, it can only
be used for educational purposes. There were some rumors that we had
discontinued it; but that isn't the case. We had some problems with
organizations who refused to pay us once they got the package. So we
now require a check with the order.

In my personal opinion, this source code along with Maurice Bach's
book is the finest opportunity that students have ever had to learn
how real software works. I was I had this when I was in school!

Similar programs may be availible from Intel, Bell Technologies, ISC
and SCO. But I am unfamiliar with these companies product offerings
for educational institutions; it's best to call them direct.

       -dwight-

       Dwight H. Leu                   ihnp4!amdcad!uport!dwight
       V.P. Engineering                well!wolf
       Microport                       microsoft!sco!ucscc!uport!dwight
       408-438-8649

Intel: 408-765-8080
Bell: 1-800-IBM-UNIX
SCO: 408-425-7222
Interactive Systems Corp: ??? (Santa Monica, Cal)

"Will your XENIX application run next year when Microsoft drops XENIX and
 switches to UNIX? Not even Microsoft guarantees it.

We're still eagerly awaiting an official guarantee!"

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (12/11/87)

As quoted from <4651@well.UUCP> by wolf@well.UUCP (Dwight Leu):
| "Will your XENIX application run next year when Microsoft drops XENIX and
|  switches to UNIX? Not even Microsoft guarantees it.

...but why would anyone run Unix/Xenix on a machine designed for MS-DOS?
(If you can make comments, so can I....)  [I know of at least one Xenix ->
Unix change that *is* guaranteed portable.  Sorry, folks.]
--
Brandon S. Allbery		      necntc!ncoast!allbery@harvard.harvard.edu
 {hoptoad,harvard!necntc,cbosgd,sun!mandrill!hal,uunet!hnsurg3}!ncoast!allbery