[comp.unix.wizards] Merged Unix

david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) (12/15/87)

In article <10843@brl-adm.ARPA>, bzs@bu-cs.bu.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:

> Doug Gwyn writes
> >Let's not reopen the old silly "my system is better than yours" debate.
> >Or at least, let's use better logic.
>
> Or even better, let's keep pointing out that the debate is over, Sun
> and AT&T will be merging and delivering one system in the near future.
> Any such system comparisons between 4.x and SysV will become a thing
> of the past and anyone hung up on such concepts will be a dinosaur.
>
> Hallelulah.
>
> 	-Barry Shein, Boston University

I agree that a merged Unix is better than two.  But it makes me
wonder about how the Sun competition is going to feel.  As you
may recall AT&T with the release of SYSVR3 required that any
licensee that sells any part of SYSVR3 with their product
must be fully SVID compliant.  This has been challenged and
AT&T has yeilded to a number of "special" cases but is still
a sore point for many vendors.  If they do this same type of
licensing with the Sun/AT&T Unix (SYS-VI?) it could effectively
kill its chances of success.

People like Apollo might not take kindly to supporting Sun
functionality!

--
	David Robinson		elroy!david@csvax.caltech.edu     ARPA
				david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov	  ARPA

bzs@bu-cs.bu.EDU (Barry Shein) (12/16/87)

>People like Apollo might not take kindly to supporting Sun
>functionality!
>

>--
>	David Robinson		elroy!david@csvax.caltech.edu     ARPA

[nothing I say below refers specifically to Apollo, it was just whom
the poster chose to use as an example]

Such vendors would have to realize that the advantages can far
outweigh the disadvantages. One of the biggest advantages will be that
the software vendors selling the applications (eg. databases) should
find it much easier to list your hardware systems as supported. I
think any salesperson would confirm that the lack of some application
package is what loses the big sales in the workstation and other
markets (oh, they don't sell the FOO database software on your system,
gee, I'm sorry, we can't live without that...)

Product differentiation based upon incompatibility rather than
innovation is a fool's path to hegemony.

This of course does not exclude super-setting, particularly when aimed
at extending the standard in concrete ways (eg. adding a parallel
scheduler for systems with such hardware.) Basically it just
commonizes the base as much as SYSV and BSD did in the past (except
now there would be one instead of two, and it will be extended to
reflect current trends such as window systems and networking in a
sufficiently standard manner to allow software developers to target
the interface and know it will work on many systems.) Apollo et al
compete with AT&T right now (well, no comment) on the hardware front,
really no difference in the end, just broader standards to work from.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University