[comp.unix.wizards] Howard Sams/Hayden Books UNIX Library

jgd@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (John G Dobnick) (12/17/87)

Just got this blurb (and order form) for

	Howard W. Sams & Company
	      Hayden Books

		UNIX & C
		Libraries

Any comments on the quality/usefulness of this series?

The *covers* are cute!  :-)
--
John G Dobnick
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

"Knowing how things work is the basis for appreciation,
and is thus a source of civilized delight."  -- William Safire
--

eap@bucsb.UUCP (Eric Pearce) (12/20/87)

In article <3947@uwmcsd1.UUCP> jgd@csd4.milw.wisc.edu.UUCP (John G Dobnick) writes:
>	Howard W. Sams & Company
>	      Hayden Books
>		UNIX & C
>		Libraries
>Any comments on the quality/usefulness of this series?

I bought "UNIX System Security" a while ago for an outrageous price.
I finally got around to reading it and was rather disappointed by
the amount of new material I learned from reading it.  It spends a long
time on set-uid hazards, but most of this you can find out on your
own.  I felt I would have encountered and been able to handle most of
the issues raised just by programming in the UNIX enviroment for a
while, instead of paying for $40 the book.

As for the other books in the series, I have looked at a few (I do not
know the specific titles).  They looked better, but suffer the same
lack of detail that most of the UNIX books have that I have seen.  They are
still talking about options to the 'ls' command about 80% through the
book, instead of the juicy details on how to do some low-level function.
I have found this to be true even in books claiming to be "advanced" UNIX.

The different versions of UNIX (SYSV vs BSD) certainly differ on the
details, but I do not think this is a reason to skip them.  I have not
seen a decent book yet that explains "this is how to do it on SYSV"
and "this is how to do it on BSD".  They tend to generalize instead.

The other books put out by Sams (on electronics, for example) are
usually very good.

 UUCP !harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!eap  ARPANET eap@bucsb.bu.edu  CSNET eap%bucsb@bu-cs

jra@jc3b21.UUCP (Jay R. Ashworth) (12/21/87)

In article <3947@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, jgd@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (John G Dobnick) says:
> 	Howard W. Sams & Company
> 	      Hayden Books
> 		UNIX & C
> 		Libraries
> Any comments on the quality/usefulness of this series?
> The *covers* are cute!  :-)
> John G Dobnick
> UUCP: {ihnp4|uwvax|uwmacc}!uwmcsd1!jgd

    Aren't they, though.   I have most of these books; Programming in C,
the shell script book, the system admin book, and the UNIX book, and I
have found them to be excellent references works, written well enough,
in my opinion, to be used as texts.  I think they are well worth the
money; especially since their C book sells for $23 something in my
market vs. $31.50 for K&R (yes, you read that right!).

    And, as you say, they also have cute covers.  Good stuff.
-- jra