[comp.unix.wizards] Read-only root

heiby@mcdchg.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (01/14/88)

Tom Spuhler (spuhler@hpisoa2.HP.COM) writes:
> I don't know what all would need to write to root while single user,
> and what would happen if they (?) couldn't, but "what if" (you've seen
> the commercial) there were two /etc directores.  One would be a minimal
> subset on the read only FS and there would be a link from /etc to say,
> /letc.

If we have a minimal root in ROM (Motorola VME Delta systems boot from
tape into a RAM disk) that contains enough to do minor housekeeping,
disk formatting, fsck, cpio, etc., why not (when going to init 2 or 3)
mount the *entire* real root over it?  Effectively, we would re-mount
the root, but from the disk device.  Most of the time, we might just
boot directly from the disk, but a boot option would allow a minimal
boot from ROM, maybe with a RAM disk for /tmp.  I don't recall how this
discussion started, but I suspect that my suggestion may solve a slightly
different problem from the original poster's.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
"Intel architectures build character."