[comp.unix.wizards] Problems with nmake

dhb@rayssd.ray.com (David H. Brierley) (01/22/88)

Is anyone successfully using nmake (fourth generation make from the
ATT toolchest) on a 4.3BSD system.  I dont think it makes any difference
but specifically, MtXinu 4.3+NFS.  I brought over the source code from
our 4.2 machine, compiled it and installed it.  No indications of any
errors so far.  However, when I run it I get one or two strange messages
and then it core dumps.  The messages are usually complaints about
"source for (insert module or include file here) has changed".  The only
changes that I have made to the source are fiddling with "MSGFD" to get
it to run correctly.

Before I pull my hair out from trying to track this down, has anybody ever
run into this before?  Any suggestions on what might be wrong?  Glenn, are
you out there?  Can you help me?

P.S. I dont think there is any possibility of an error in my makefile since
this same makefile runs succesfully on  a VAX running 4.2bsd, on a Sun
running 3.4 SunOS, and on a Pyramid 9820 running Osx 4.0.
--
	David H. Brierley
	Raytheon Submarine Signal Division

Phone:		(401)-847-8000 x4073
Internet:	dhb@rayssd.ray.com
Uucp:		{cbosgd, gatech, linus, mirror, necntc, uiucdcs} !rayssd!dhb

billj@zaphod.UUCP (Bill Jones) (02/06/88)

In article <1773@rayssd.ray.com> dhb@rayssd.ray.com (David H. Brierley) writes:
>Is anyone successfully using nmake (fourth generation make from the
>ATT toolchest) on a 4.3BSD system.  I dont think it makes any difference
>but specifically, MtXinu 4.3+NFS.  I brought over the source code from
>our 4.2 machine, compiled it and installed it.  No indications of any
>errors so far.  However, when I run it I get one or two strange messages
>and then it core dumps.  The messages are usually complaints about
>"source for (insert module or include file here) has changed".  The only
>changes that I have made to the source are fiddling with "MSGFD" to get
>it to run correctly.

We're not running 4.3 here, but I think I may have found and fixed the
same bug.  The Achilles heel is that .h files which #include each other
with a  #ifndef to break the chain cause isintdep to recurse and dump
core.  This will show up as an enormous repetitive backtrace when
you look at it with dbx or adb.  I have a patch to fix this which
borrows the r->mark field to determine if we've been by already, and
takes care not to recurse unless we know it's 0.   I'll send it via
mail to anyone who has a licence for nmake.
--
Bill Jones, Develcon Electronics, 856 51 St E, Saskatoon S7K 5C7 Canada
uucp:  ...ihnp4!sask!zaphod!billj               phone:  +1 306 931 1504