[comp.unix.wizards] SCSI expansion disks on NCR Tower 32

jbatson@socrates.bbn.com (02/08/88)

I'm trying to add a SCSI disk to a Tower 32, but I'm NOT buying it
through NCR - like most other computer vendors, they want much too much
for disks when bought through them.

However, I'm in need of some assistance on this.  NCR has been pretty
poor in supplying ANY information I've needed (some modest exception to
be made for Greg Noel, ncr-sd!greg, who has at least made an effort
once or twice).  My general opinion of NCR in the "open systems" area
is very low - I've worked on Towers since the first generation (Tower
1632), and although their marketing brochures have always touted that
they use "industry standard interfaces so you can expand using any
components you'd like" (e.g. the "open system" approach), they
generally drop you like a hot potato once you start asking the
necessary questions.  It was three years after the original release of
the Tower before they had any documentation on device drivers for the
Tower (and to be sure, they had some unusual kernel functions you
needed to know about).  Having worked on numerous other systems in
those years, you can consider this an educated flame about NCR.  LTTB.

Has anybody out there put non-NCR SCSI disks on a 32?  If so, tell me
by E-mail who you are, and I'll drop you a note with some specific
questions (in an effort to keep net traffic down).

Jay Batson
Butterfly MACH Support
UUCP:	...!harvard!bbn.com!jbatson				617-873-4119
DOMAIN:	jbatson@bbn.com			"Parallel processing can be fun!"

rogers@ofc.UUCP (rogers) (02/09/88)

In article <20591@bbn.COM> jbatson@socrates.bbn.com () writes:
>I'm trying to add a SCSI disk to a Tower 32, but I'm NOT buying it
>through NCR - like most other computer vendors, they want much too much
>for disks when bought through them.
>
>However, I'm in need of some assistance on this.  NCR has been pretty
>poor in supplying ANY information I've needed (some modest exception to
>be made for Greg Noel, ncr-sd!greg, who has at least made an effort
>once or twice).

	Who have you asked?  You have to wave greenbacks if you talk to
	salesmen.
>                   My general opinion of NCR in the "open systems" area
>is very low - I've worked on Towers since the first generation (Tower
>1632), and although their marketing brochures have always touted that
>they use "industry standard interfaces so you can expand using any
>components you'd like" (e.g. the "open system" approach), they
>generally drop you like a hot potato once you start asking the
>necessary questions.

	What does lack of answers have to do with open systems?  I can
	understand being miffed if you can't get the answers, but I find
	it hard to translate that into a flame on open systems.  NCR has
	helped many customers adapt the TOWER 32 to their particular
	environments through direct consultation.  Yeah, we might lack
	some documentation you consider helpful.  Something wrong with
	your phone?
>                      It was three years after the original release of
>the Tower before they had any documentation on device drivers for the
>Tower (and to be sure, they had some unusual kernel functions you
>needed to know about).

	This did not stop anybody else.  Again, something wrong with your
	phone?
>                        Having worked on numerous other systems in
>those years, you can consider this an educated flame about NCR.  LTTB.

	No such thing as an educated flame.  That's a conflict of terms,
	sort of like *army intelligence*.:-)

>Has anybody out there put non-NCR SCSI disks on a 32?  If so, tell me
>by E-mail who you are, and I'll drop you a note with some specific
>questions (in an effort to keep net traffic down).

	Mr. Batman, er, Batson, the problem you have run into is
	fundamental to capitalism.  Successful business enterprises
	don't have people sitting around waiting for opportunities.
	They keep people busy.  Therefore, the choice to redirect their
	resources to assist people such as yourself boils down to how
	lucrative the financials are.  In other words, can we solve a
	problem for you that, BTW, makes us a great deal of money?

	Drop the note...no promises made.:-)
____________             _____________________________________________________
                        |                                                     |
U          U            |       >  >  >  >  >  >  >  > ...!rutgers!           |
U          U            |      ^        ^                     v               |
U Wildcats U  K      K  |      ^        ^        ...!gatech!mcnc!< < uvaarpa! |
U          U  K    K    |      ^        ^              v      v               |
U          U  K  K      |      ^ ...!sri-unix!hplabs!< <   ece-csc!           |
 U        U   KK        |      ^                v             v               |
   UUUUUU     K  K      | ...!sdcsvax!ucsdhub!hp-sdd!ncr-sd!ncrcae!ofc!rogers |
---------     K      K  |    OR JUST TRY hl.rogers@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM    |

"If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when
 will you ever find time to do it over." - from a wise sage.
 Go Big Blue!