[comp.unix.wizards] Why no trailers in network ifconfig?

bob@acornrc.UUCP (Bob Weissman) (02/13/88)

In "rc.local" files distributed with new systems, I always see
"-trailers" in "ifconfig" statements.  Why is this?  Aren't
trailers a Good Thing?

We're talking about Vaxen & Suns here, running 4.2 and 4.3 BSD.

--
Bob Weissman
Internet:	bob@acornrc.UUCP

chris@trantor.umd.edu (Chris Torek) (02/13/88)

In article <599@acornrc.UUCP> bob@acornrc.UUCP (Bob Weissman) writes:
>In "rc.local" files distributed with new systems, I always see
>"-trailers" in "ifconfig" statements.  Why is this?  Aren't
>trailers a Good Thing?

Easy:  No; or rather, not in 4.2BSD, not unless you talk only to hosts
that also understand trailers.  4.3BSD attempts to negotiate trailers
when ARPing, hence trailers can be enabled under 4.3BSD without losing
portability.  Unfortunately, a legal ARP implementation can confuse
the negotiation code in pre-Tahoe-release 4.3BSD.

Other than that, trailers are fine.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Computer Science, +1 301 454 7163
(hiding out on trantor.umd.edu until mimsy is reassembled in its new home)

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (02/13/88)

The reason they are turned off is that they were nonstandard and not
all systems can handle them (this has changed, see later).  They are
a good idea in paged UNIX implemenations which are resigned to do
at least one copy of data anyhow.  They are not a good idea for other
implementations, including most gateways as they do not copy the IP
packet at all.  They expect the IP header to be in the proper place
and just diddle the local net headers and pass it to the output
network driver.

Trailers are now a standard and leaving the trailers flag turned on
in later (standard conforming) systems should be OK.  The system now
checks while ARPing if the remote system wants to do trailers and uses
them when the remote system likes, and avoids them otherwise.

-Ron

USER:  We're having a problem with our gateway.
ME:  Really?  What is it?
USER:  We just put up a Sun and now the gateway is printing Ethernet
  errors.
ME:  Hmm, sounds serious.  What kind of errors?  Interlan transmit
  register errors?
USER:  No, it was something about trailers.
ME:  Oh, was it by any chance "Trailers make me barf!"?
USER:  Oh yes, that's it!

kurt@hi.unm.edu (Kurt Zeilenga) (02/14/88)

Bob Weissman writes:
>In "rc.local" files distributed with new systems, I always see
>"-trailers" in "ifconfig" statements.  Why is this?  Aren't
>trailers a Good Thing?
>
>We're talking about Vaxen & Suns here, running 4.2 and 4.3 BSD.

Since there are many systems that can NOT run trailers at this time,
it is VERY wise to only run trailers on systems that do trailer
arbitration.  4.3 BSD based systems do this, 4.2 BSD based don't.

Even if every existing system ran trailers, I would only enable them
on 4.3 based systems.  You never know what the guy down the hall is
going to put on the network....

--
	Kurt (zeilenga@hc.dspo.gov)