[comp.unix.wizards] bulletin board facility

Kenlin@yukon.scrc.symbolics.com (Kenlin Pascoe) (02/12/88)

Does anyone know if there is a bulletin board program written to run
under UNIX that can be bought?  If there is, I'd be interestd in what
features it has and an approximate cost.

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (02/12/88)

There are two very good public domain BBS programs for UNIX, as well as
some "pay for" types.

UNaXcess, public domain - contact brandon@ncoast.uucp

XBBS - public domain - contact sandy@alphacm.uucp

PicoSpan - commercial - contact randy@chinet.uucp
	(he has it but is not the author, I don't know the author's
	 address...)
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (02/16/88)

In article <9527@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

>PicoSpan - commercial - contact randy@chinet.uucp
>	(he has it but is not the author, I don't know the author's
>	 address...)

	A company, unicon, has been set up to sell picospan.  You
	can contact them (or the owner, mike meyers) at
	unicon@m-net or mike@m-net. (..!ihnp4!chinet!idic!m-net)

	Also, Marcus Watts is the author of Picospan.  It is the
	conferencing system running at The WELL.
-randy

--
that's the biz, sweetheart.....
Randy Suess

stox@ttrde.UUCP (Kenneth P. Stox) (02/16/88)

In article <9527@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
> PicoSpan - commercial - contact randy@chinet.uucp
> 	(he has it but is not the author, I don't know the author's
> 	 address...)

Another BBS system for Unix can be found as
	AKCS - commercial - contact karl@ddsw1.uucp

	Although not as powerful as picospan, it does appear to be more
	user friendly.

Ken Stox
ihnp4!ttrde!stox

clif@chinet.UUCP (Clif Flynt) (02/17/88)

  Another conferencing system for unix:

Caucus

Camber-Roth
609 Cloverdale
Ann Arbor, MI  48105

  I've used both this and PicoSpan, and while I like Pico for myself, I
can see where Caucus has advantages for the novice user.  The main advantage
of Caucus is while it was developed and runs under unix, it has also
but been ported to MS-DOS, VM/CMS, VMS, and a few other O/S's.

  Caucus and Pico both support mail messages, and stuff like that as well
as conferencing.  Pico does most of this by escaping to the shell, and
running the unix utilities, while Caucus has it's own mail and finger type
commands built in.

  Last I checked, pricing for both systems was equivalent.  (Well, close,
anyhow.)

My Opinions are my own. I can't imagine why anyone else would want them.
Clif Flynt	ihnp4!chinet!clif

levine@atpal.UUCP (Sysop account) (02/18/88)

I hope i'm not belaboring this point -- but if you're interested in bbs's for
xenix (and i assume, soon to be ported to other svid systems) check out
MAGPIE.  This is a full conferencing system, with archival retention within
a tree-structured bbs.  While not as simple for new users as, say, RBBS, it
is tremendously powerful, and engenders true discussions (much more so
than say, netnews!)  I've operated my bbs for three years, under RBBS, Collie,
and DBBS I averaged about 10-20 msgs. a week, with MAGPIE I accumulated
over 15,000 in less than a year!

Now within Xenix it fully supports multi-user access.  To give it a whirl
give my board a call at the number below.  Let me know if i can be
of any help.