[comp.unix.wizards] Sun VMS fortran

hartzell@beagle (George Hartzell) (03/02/88)

In article <3168@phri.UUCP>, roy@phri (Roy Smith) writes:
>	Up until recently, the biggest reason I could think of to have VMS
>is because lots of other people do; we get a lot of big VMS FORTRAN
>programs which will only run on VMS because they depend on VMS extensions.
>We were seriously thinking of buying a small Vax to run VMS on just for
>those applications.  What we have done instead is order Sun's VMS
>compatable FORTRAN compiler so we can run that VMS FORTRAN on our Unix
>boxes and have the best of both worlds.
>Roy Smith, {allegra,cmcl2,philabs}!phri!roy
>System Administrator, Public Health Research Institute
>455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

Three months or so ago I stopped by Sun's demo room with a tape full of
fortran code which used VMS very heavily.  We had been able to get it to
compile under Ultrix with a minimum of fuss (15 minutes), but spent all
afternoon pulling our hair out at Sun.  Has anyone USED Sun's new compiler
successfully?
g.
--
George Hartzell			                 (303) 492-4535
MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309