[net.music] PMRC revisited...

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (10/01/85)

In article <707@cornell.UUCP> rance@cornell.UUCP (Rance Cleaveland) writes:
>> "Parents' Music Responsibility (?) Committee", headed by the wives of Sen.
>> Gore (R-Tenn.) and Treasury Sec. Baker.
>
>Uh, I liked this article, but Albert Gore is a D, not an R.

Alright already!  I've seen at least two postings (and received mucho mail)
pointing this out... ironically, not a single one has mentioned PMRC's
correct name, which is "Parents' Music Resource Center."

Flame off.  I'd like to introduce a new subject for discussion:

PMRC proposes rating lyrics that are a) offensive sexually, b) violent,
c) "occult" (Satanic?  Astrological?), and d) drug/alcohol-related.  The first
two categories are pretty clear-cut; the latter are quite nebulous.  Many
rock lyrics have no literal "meaning" (what does, say, "Stairway to Heaven"
"mean"?); would those be lumped into the drug-related or occult categories
simply because they made no sense to a reviewer brought up on straightforward
50's pop tunes?

BTW, can anyone think of any songs that fall into all four categories
simultaneously?  Think Frank Zappa will write one?

AWR

"Congress shall make no law abr

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (10/03/85)

I haven't gotten too upset about the proposed classification of records
because, although classification may suck, it's sure a hell of a lot better
than censorship.  The PMRC people probably have the power to force censorship
if they want to, and they seem determined enough to go that far if they have
to to get satisfaction, so if voluntary classification will shut them up and
keep them off of the record industry's back, then let's give it a try.
--
Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto  (416) 635-2073
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsri!dciem!jeff

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (10/08/85)

In article <1700@dciem.UUCP> jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) writes:

>I haven't gotten too upset about the proposed classification of records
>because, although classification may suck, it's sure a hell of a lot better
>than censorship.  The PMRC people probably have the power to force censorship
>if they want to, and they seem determined enough to go that far if they have
>to to get satisfaction, so if voluntary classification will shut them up and
>keep them off of the record industry's back, then let's give it a try.

I don't think that they will be able to pass legislation on classification
stickers anyway. With 250,000 songs being released every year (I think that
was the figure given...it was some incredibly large number anyway) the
deciding factor may be one of simple logistics...WHO THE HELL IS GONNA REVIEW
ALL THOSE SONGS?

				    Barth Richards
				    Tellabs, Inc.
				    Lisle, IL