[comp.unix.wizards] @ as kill on login

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (03/10/88)

In article <570004@hpsemc.HP.COM> bd@hpsemc.HP.COM (bob desinger) writes:
>[It and #-as-erase are] the only characters guaranteed to work while
>logging in on nearly any version of Unix.

But not any version:  `@' does not work on University of Maryland
Computer Science Department machines, for the reason that it is
needed for something else:

	login: guest@timbuktu
	Sorry guest, but timbuktu isn't in the local cluster of machines.
	Send mail to staff@timbuktu to inquire as to the best way to
	connect.

	This login attempt has been recorded.

Believe it or not, the only part of this that is a special case
is that `@host' tells login to log in as user `Rlogin' with shell
`rsh <host> -l <login> -enone' (-enone is another local hack).
The restriction comes from a more general mechanism:  If the
file /etc/restrict/login/<username> exists, it is run after
deciding the password is correct.  If this file exits with a
nonzero status, login rejects the login attempt.  Hence we can
have a `halt' account with no password (it only works from the
console), or temporarily disable a wayward student's account
with a message:

	#! /bin/sh
	cat << eom
	J.Q. Public, talk to Dr. Staff about those 10,000
	pages you printed on the Imagen yesterday....
	eom
	exit 1