[comp.unix.wizards] BSD for 386 boxes?

wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) (03/13/88)

Has anyone, either as an academic excercise, or as a commercial
product ported BSD 4.x to a '386 box? If so, what do we have to
do to legally get a binary and/or source-diff?

We have a 4.3 source liscense for our Vax-11/750, and would be
interested in also running a Berekely port on a '386 PC clone that we
just acquired.  I know that System V is available from numerous
sources, but we'd prefer to run BSD (please no SysV/BSD wars!).

-wolfgang

Wolfgang Rupprecht	ARPA:  wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (IP 18.82.0.114)
326 Commonwealth Ave.	UUCP:  mit-eddie!mgm.mit.edu!wolfgang
Boston, Ma. 02115	TEL:   (617) 267-4365

daveb@llama.rtech.UUCP (I was right about the comet) (03/17/88)

In article <3697@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) writes:
>Has anyone, either as an academic excercise, or as a commercial
>product ported BSD 4.x to a '386 box? If so, what do we have to
>do to legally get a binary and/or source-diff?
>
>We have a 4.3 source liscense for our Vax-11/750, and would be
>interested in also running a Berekely port on a '386 PC clone that we
>just acquired.  I know that System V is available from numerous
>sources, but we'd prefer to run BSD (please no SysV/BSD wars!).

Not quite what you want:  You can buy a Sequent Symmetry running BSD on
386s right now.  In a few months you'll be able to get a workstation
from Sun ("Road Runner") according to a recent PC Week.  I can't comment
on the educational availability of the source for either machine.

-dB
"Do you programmers do sh*t like this a lot?"   "Every g*d*mn day."
{amdahl, cpsc6a, mtxinu, ptsfa, sun, hoptoad}!rtech!daveb daveb@rtech.uucp