[comp.unix.wizards] IBM????

mjb%hoosier.utah.edu.uucp@utah-gr.UUCP (Mark J. Bradakis) (03/15/88)

When I worked for an IBM facility for a while, I was quite amused by the
"screen editor" I used.  I won't comment here on the whole command/input mode
difference.  I will say that when you moved the cursor to a particular column
and hit ANY key (other than the one moving the cursor out of the column) there
was no recourse but cycling power on terminal.  Now THAT is good, user friendly
programming!  The lightning bolt and little man icons were neat, too!

mjb.

mjb@hoosier.utah.edu

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (03/17/88)

The little key labeled RESET under the shift key will make the X and
the little man go away.

-Ron

whh@pbhya.UUCP (Wilson Heydt) (03/19/88)

In article <2405@utah-gr.UUCP>, mjb%hoosier.utah.edu.uucp@utah-gr.UUCP (Mark J. Bradakis) writes:
> When I worked for an IBM facility for a while, I was quite amused by the
> "screen editor" I used.  I won't comment here on the whole command/input mode
> difference.  I will say that when you moved the cursor to a particular column
> and hit ANY key (other than the one moving the cursor out of the column) there
> was no recourse but cycling power on terminal.  Now THAT is good, user friendly
> programming!  The lightning bolt and little man icons were neat, too!

Try 'reset', or in extreme cases 'device cancel'.  Every protocol converter
I've dealt with had keyed equivalents. (One that comes to mind uses esc-Z).

     --Hal

  Hal Heydt                             |
  Analyst, Pacific*Bell                 |    Real men write self
  415-645-7708                          |    modifying code.
  {dual,qantel,ihnp4}ptsfa!pbhya!whh    |