[comp.unix.wizards] What does SVR3 have that SVR2 doesn't?

campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) (03/16/88)

I am interested in a _concise_ description (extra points if it fits on one
screen) of what's new in SVR3 (besides streams -- I've already read the papers
on that).  The question I'm really trying to answer is, given a choice
between SVR2 (for perhaps less money) and SVR3, why should I choose SVR3?
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.bsw.com          120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

ekrell@hector.UUCP (Eduardo Krell) (03/16/88)

In article <1062@maynard.BSW.COM> campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) writes:
>The question I'm really trying to answer is, given a choice
>between SVR2 (for perhaps less money) and SVR3, why should I choose SVR3?

1. RFS

2. STREAMS

3. Shared Libraries

4. Better signal handling

    Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

    UUCP: {ihnp4,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell		ARPA: ekrell@ulysses.att.com

hwe@beta.UUCP (Skip Egdorf) (03/18/88)

> >The question I'm really trying to answer is, given a choice
> >between SVR2 (for perhaps less money) and SVR3, why should I choose SVR3?
> 1. RFS
> 2. STREAMS
> 3. Shared Libraries
> 4. Better signal handling
>
>     Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

Let us not forget the lawyers:

5. A clause in the license that lets AT&T decide to pull your product
   whenever THEY decide that you are not really selling SVR3.

					Skip Egdorf
					hwe@lanl.gov

dave@sdeggo.UUCP (David L. Smith) (03/19/88)

In article <16603@beta.UUCP>, hwe@beta.UUCP (Skip Egdorf) writes:
> Let us not forget the lawyers:
>
> 5. A clause in the license that lets AT&T decide to pull your product
>    whenever THEY decide that you are not really selling SVR3.

Is this just if you're calling your product Sys V.3, or if you are selling
something derived from Sys V.3 (and not calling it such) and they decide they
don't like it?

--
David L. Smith
{sdcsvax!jack,ihnp4!jack, hp-sdd!crash, pyramid, uport}!sdeggo!dave

narayan@tandem.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram) (03/19/88)

In article <1062@maynard.BSW.COM> campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) writes:
>I am interested in a _concise_ description (extra points if it fits on one
>screen) of what's new in SVR3 (besides streams -- I've already read the papers
>on that).  The question I'm really trying to answer is, given a choice
>between SVR2 (for perhaps less money) and SVR3, why should I choose SVR3?

There are serveral new features (besides streams and tli).
there are:
	shareable librarires,
	New signal support (signals that stick).
	new C compiler,
	RFS,
	streams support utilities.

I think the shareable libraries is the best part (besides streams). The
disk space taken up by most programs has dropped by about 7K (stdio beleive
it or not).

I don't remember if 5.2 was a swapping system or not. But 5.3 I know is
a paging machine.

In article <16603@beta.UUCP> hwe@beta.UUCP (Skip Egdorf) writes:
>5. A clause in the license that lets AT&T decide to pull your product
>   whenever THEY decide that you are not really selling SVR3.

That's not what the clause says.  In any case, VARs have a contract
with AT&T and of course violations of the contract by either side
can lead to litigation.  Nothing new there.  The only thing new is
that you can't use their trademark for a product that doesn't meet
their specifications.  Somehow I doubt that this is an innovation
in the annals of contract law.