[comp.unix.wizards] Ultrix == Unix

devine@cookie.dec.com (Bob Devine) (03/12/88)

Subject: Re: Help us defend against VMS!

In article <867@unmvax.unm.edu> mike@turing.UNM.EDU (Michael I. Bushnell) writes:

> Now, we all know that Ultrix isn't really UNIX, and that it probably
> should be thrown out the window, but [...]

  Ok, so *what* is Unix.  Is it something that comes out of
UC-Berkeley?  Out of Mt. Xinu?  Is it Version 7?  System III?
Reimplementations like Venix, or Minix or RMS's current effort?
Or is just what AT&T packages as System V?  In that case, is it
Release 1, 2, 3, or 4?  And release for which machine -- 3b5s? 3b20s?
What about research versions?  An old line is that "Unix is
whatever is currently running on Dennis Ritchie's machine".

  Or is your working definition based upon a test like SVVS?
If so, what do you call all the past versions that never passed
SVVS?  How about making the test something that is not controlled
by one of the vendors.  That is what Posix is for!  And when
Posix is ready, DEC has said Ultrix will be compliant.

  Just because you "all know" something does not make it true.
Something to consider is that Berkeley runs Ultrix on its
department machines because of the support available.

Bob Devine

david@sun.uucp (David DiGiacomo) (03/12/88)

In article <8803112014.AA05869@decwrl.dec.com> devine@cookie.dec.com (Bob Devine) writes:
>  Just because you "all know" something does not make it true.
>Something to consider is that Berkeley runs Ultrix on its
>department machines because of the support available.

Ha ha ha.  As has been explained in another newsgroup, Berkeley runs Ultrix
on those machines because it can't work out the 4.3 licensing with AT&T.

mike@turing.UNM.EDU (Michael I. Bushnell) (03/13/88)

In article <8803112014.AA05869@decwrl.dec.com> devine@cookie.dec.com (Bob Devine) writes:
>Subject: Re: Help us defend against VMS!
>
>In article <867@unmvax.unm.edu> mike@turing.UNM.EDU (Michael I. Bushnell) writes:
>
>> Now, we all know that Ultrix isn't really UNIX, and that it probably
>> should be thrown out the window, but [...]
>
>  Ok, so *what* is Unix.  Is it something that comes out of
>UC-Berkeley?  Out of Mt. Xinu?  Is it Version 7?  System III?

[Lots of various Unix-like operating systems deleted]

UNIX is that which legally bears the trademark "UNIX".  See?
That is what trademarks are for.  This means Versions 1-n, System III,
System V, BSD, and Mt. Xinu (which is distributed straight from BSD).

Trademarks are useful.  They let the consumer know what she is getting.
Ultrix is enhanced 4.2BSD UNIX.  It is lacking in almost all of the
additions Berkeley made for 4.3BSD.  The additions DEC has made are
almost none of them by DEC, they are by other vendors (SUN, AT&T).

>  Just because you "all know" something does not make it true.
>Something to consider is that Berkeley runs Ultrix on its
>department machines because of the support available.

Just because you "know" why UCB runs Ultrix on dept. machines
doesn't make it true.  They do it because of DEC demanding that
they buy an OS with the machine.  They don't want to buy a second
license and put BSD on.  Now, if DEC let them by machines without
an OS....

				Michael I. Bushnell
				mike@turing.unm.edu
				{ucbvax,gatech}!unmvax!turing!mike

				HASA -- "A" division

devine@cookie.dec.com (Bob Devine) (03/15/88)

  I wrote that "Berkeley runs Ultrix on its department machines
because of the support available."

  Sorry, that is wrong.  UCB has Ultrix on those machines, instead
one of its releases such as 4.2 or 4.3, because they are VAX 8800's
and the CSRG didn't want to bother with the mods needed for those boxes.
Why UCB bought the machines instead of ones that did easily run 4.3
came from a decision that was apparently more political than technical.

  The reason put forward by sun!david, that there was a licensing
problem from AT&T for those machines, seems unlikely.

Bob Devine

In article <883@unmvax.unm.edu> mike@turing.UNM.EDU.UUCP (Michael I. Bushnell) writes:
> Trademarks are useful.  They let the consumer know what she is getting.
> Ultrix is enhanced 4.2BSD UNIX.  It is lacking in almost all of the
> additions Berkeley made for 4.3BSD.  The additions DEC has made are
> almost none of them by DEC, they are by other vendors (SUN, AT&T).

Look, about the time 4.3 BSD comes with DECnet, LAT, disk based partition
tables and now NFS, I'll have it running here a week later.  I realize
most of these are excuses for talking to vaxen running that other operating
system, but if some of the users here prefer to use VMS, I'm not going
to take away their toys and it's to my advantage to interoperate with as
much flexability as possible.

While DEC may not be cutting any new ground with Ultrix, it's not a bad
job overall, and they haven't really done any worse brutalities to
BSD than most of the other vendors who have tried to "add something" to
Unix to meet their perceived needs.  Sun is innocent, maybe?

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (03/18/88)

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) wrote:
>about the time 4.3 BSD comes with DECnet, LAT, disk based partition
>tables and now NFS, I'll have it running here a week later.

Interesting that some sites try to get their UNIX machines to look
like VMS boxes (at least as far as functionality goes), while others
are trying to get their VMS machines to look like UNIX boxes...

Are on-disk partition tables that important?  How often do you
change your partitions?

Administration here is threatening to trade my 750 (4.3) for an
8000-class machine.  I hope I can convince them to make it an 8200 so
I can run the UMD mods to 4.3...or maybe a microvax!  That's the ticket...

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
		"Nicaragua" is Spanish for "Vietnam."

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (03/19/88)

In article <5533@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>Are on-disk partition tables that important?  How often do you
>change your partitions?

On-disk partition tables are VERY important for us, since we have a
whole lot of third-party MSCP disks with different sizes.  Without
being able to change the partition tables, we'd have to have a different
version of the kernel (with the partition tables hacked up in uda.c
the right way) for each hardware configuration.  And if you have a
machine with disks from any two different vendors at the same time,
well, you lose, since the device driver can only store one partition
table at a time in the device driver for each different kind of disk.
(Yes, I know that the *real* bug is that our Maxtor disks and our Fujitsu
disks both identify themselves as RA80's...)   And, of course, if you're
a binary-only site, you lose again, since you couldn't fix it even if
you knew how.

--Pat.

shan@mcf.UUCP (Sharan Kalwani) (03/19/88)

In article <5533@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) wrote:
>>about the time 4.3 BSD comes with DECnet, LAT, disk based partition
>>tables and now NFS, I'll have it running here a week later.

George,

One can get 4.3 BSD with NFS I think Mt. Xinu does that already. About LAT's
there are other solutions too. Is DECNET such a big deal right now?
You can consider other protocols and be eminently compatible with
lots of systems around.

>Interesting that some sites try to get their UNIX machines to look
>like VMS boxes (at least as far as functionality goes), while others
>are trying to get their VMS machines to look like UNIX boxes...

Touche, Bob!

>Administration here is threatening to trade my 750 (4.3) for an
>8000-class machine.  I hope I can convince them to make it an 8200 so
 ^^^^

 Well if the admin types don't know any better, why not plug for an
 8600 or 8650 ?  It should satisfy their way of looking at things.

 Now that's the ticket :-)

--
sharan "alf" kalwani.  110 east warren detroit mi 48201. (313) 833-0710 x411
USENET: ...!{ihnp4!mibte, uunet!umix, philabs!fmsrl7, ucbvax!mtxinu}!mcf!shan

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (03/21/88)

In article <5533@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>Administration here is threatening to trade my 750 (4.3) for an
>8000-class machine.  I hope I can convince them to make it an 8200 so
>I can run the UMD mods to 4.3...or maybe a microvax!  That's the ticket...

Get them to spring for an 8650 :-)

More seriously, an 8250 is probably not worth what they would pay for
it.  The performance is about equal to that of a `massbussless' 11/785,
although the reliability is better and the service contract
correspondingly cheaper.  But it is so easy to get better performance
than a 785 gives. . . .  In fact, only the new 3000-series Vaxen
seem to have anywhere near a reasonable price/performance.

rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) (03/21/88)

   From: Patrick Barron <pdb@sei.cmu.EDU>

   In article <5533@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
   >Are on-disk partition tables that important?  How often do you
   >change your partitions?

   And, of course, if you're a binary-only site, you lose again, since
   you couldn't fix it even if you knew how.

It's rather trivial to adb the kernel partition tables if you know
what they look like. And the structure is rather simple.

   --Pat.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
All this time I've been VIEWING a RUSSIAN MIDGET SODOMIZE a HOUSECAT!