[comp.unix.wizards] Help us defend against VMS! -- DEC perspective

devine@cookie.dec.com (Bob Devine) (03/08/88)

  I've stayed on the side in this latest Battle of the Network
Flamers of VMS vs Unix because I've been properly inculcated
with the notion that I can't speak for DEC.  But since they are
now buying my beer, let me state the facts.  All the information
stated below has been publicly expressed; I'm just repeating it.

  Approximately 10% of all VAXen sold run Unix (or variations).
This number has been consistently at this level for quite a while.
Workstations are currently at about the 30% level.  DEC has
decided that it is in its best interest to offer Unix as well as VMS.
To that end, an equal amount of development funds and people are
now devoted to each OS.  DEC has also stated that in the future new
developments will be made available to both OSs.

  For the future, DEC is behind POSIX.  Not some vendor-specific version
of Unix that would be closed to others (subtle, aren't I?).

sullivan@vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan) (03/09/88)

In article <8803071927.AA02829@decwrl.dec.com>, devine@cookie.dec.com (Bob Devine) writes:
>   For the future, DEC is behind POSIX.  Not some vendor-specific version
> of Unix that would be closed to others (subtle, aren't I?).

As opposed to the open VMS standard backed by millions of vendor-types?

-or-

Yeah, I know what you mean.  Next thing you know, DEC will want to change
VMS without letting everybody in on it!

--
Michael Sullivan		{uunet|attmail}!vsi!sullivan
				{ucbvax|ihnp4|sun}!amdcad!uport!vsi!sullivan

devine@cookie.dec.com (Bob Devine) (03/11/88)

I wrote:
>   For the future, DEC is behind POSIX.  Not some vendor-specific version
> of Unix that would be closed to others (subtle, aren't I?).

Michael Sullivan replied:
> As opposed to the open VMS standard backed by millions of vendor-types?
> Yeah, I know what you mean.  Next thing you know, DEC will want to change
> VMS without letting everybody in on it!

  Yes, VMS is a proprietary OS; I never said it wasn't.  The
discussion is on the future direction of Unix.  Should it be an
open standard or should it be controlled by AT&T?

  As we get closer to final approval of the Posix standard, AT&T
seems to be regretting letting the Genie out of the profitable bottle.
Each new version of System V has become more onerous, why?  The AT&T
reps to Posix have now voted against final approval, again why?

Bob Devine

In article <8803101924.AA03437@decwrl.dec.com> devine@cookie.dec.com (Bob Devine) writes:
>Should it be an open standard or should it be controlled by AT&T?

"False dichotomy."

It could be both, or this may not even be the most important issue.

>  As we get closer to final approval of the Posix standard, AT&T
>seems to be regretting letting the Genie out of the profitable bottle.
>Each new version of System V has become more onerous, why?

I don't know what you mean by this.  SVR3.0 incorporated tremendous
improvements that should be of great value to future UNIX users.
In particular, STREAMS is an extremely important technology.  The
file system switch is also important, but more to implementors than
directly to end users.  SVR3.0 is the first AT&T UNIX system release
that I would rate as technically the equal of, or superior to, 4.nBSD
on all major counts.

SVR3.1 appears to have continued the tradition of removing unnecessary
constraints that got in the way of international use of UNIX.  SVR4.0,
from what I have heard, will continue the tradition of merging in
those features of 4.nBSD that people find most useful.  What is
onerous about all this?

If you refer to the requirement that VARs advertising their systems
as UNIX System V conform to the SVID, why is that a problem?  It's
exactly what many customers want, and what has been specified in many
government procurement actions.  While on this topic, the NBS-proposed
POSIX-based FIPS is by no means a suitable replacement for the SVID;
it does not provide nearly as comprehensive and "crisp" a specification
as the SVID does; therefore it does not meet end-user needs nearly so
well.  When asked, my recommendation is always to supplement POSIX
in the specs with ANSI C and SVID requirements, in such a way that
conflicts among the requirements have a well-determined resolution.

>The AT&T reps to Posix have now voted against final approval, again why?

Presumably, like more than a quarter of the balloting group (how many
more I don't know), they found unacceptable technical errors in Draft 12
of IEEE Std 1003.1.  There is going to be another recirculation round
of a new draft of the proposed standard; perhaps the problems will be
fixed so that AT&T representatives, the USENIX representative (who is
a well-known supporter of the 4.nBSD UNIX variants), I, and others could
change our negative ballots to favor adopting the new draft as the
final-use standard.

Please, if you're going to push the DEC "party line", don't misrepresent
the actual situation (such as implying that AT&T representatives are
trying to torpedo POSIX); when exposed, it unduly weakens your case.

gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) (03/14/88)

/ comp.unix.wizards / lynn@engr.uky.edu (H. Lynn Tilley) / Mar  6, 1988 /
>[...] let me fully acknowledge DEC's progess
>in this area.  Their development system is good and it is getting
>better.

But it is costly.  I just got a package of glossy sheets, called

	VAXset: VAX Software Engineering Tools

(by the way, DEC people: note the VAX=VMS implication).

Being a person who not only uses this kind of stuff regularly, but who also
has to regularly convince people who write out checks that the stuff is worth
the money, I built a table of sorts in my mind that compares these tools with
similar tools in the Unix world (ours is BSD-tilted), and their costs.  Let me
write it down:

		VMS world				Unix world

1.
VAX Language Sensitive Editor.		GNU Emacs with language modes (and
					other Emacses -- but we use GNU).

Based on TPU. Support for languages	Freely distributable.  Runs
is distributed with each compiler.	on 36 different machines.  Language
Users will only see it on VAXes.	modes are contributed by users.

2.
VAX Source Code Analyzer.		No obvious equivalent.  Some function-
					ality provided by "tags" facilities for
Claimed to be most effective when	Emacses (or for vi).  Some functionali-
used together with LSE (#1).		ty provided by various "calls" facili-
Users will only see it on VAXes.	ties, but those are usually language-
					dependent.

3.
VAX DEC/Code Management System.		RCS.

Well-connected with other VMS soft-	Freely distributable.  Separate soft-
ware from DEC: interfaces with Ada	ware, so easy interfacing with other
libraries, LSE (I think), etc.		programs (such as 'make') is not
Users will only see it on VAXes,	guaranteed.  Also SCCS, which comes
though they are likely to see similar	bundles with Unix (generally).
tools on other systems.

4.
VAX DEC/Module Management System.	Make.

Interfaces with libraries, CMS.		Some versions interface with
Users will only see it on VAXes,	libraries, RCS and/or SCCS.  Comes
though they are likely to see similar	bundled with Unix, some versions
tools on other systems.			are freely distributable.

5.
VAX Performance and Coverage Analyzer.	Gprof.

An execution profiler.  Can handle	Sometimes comes bundled with Unix.
such things as Ada tasks.  Users will	Users are not likely to see it on
only see it on VAXes, though they may	systems that are not BSD-based and
t worth that much money -- perhapssee similar tools on other systems.	do not have a continuous-memory model.

6.
VAX Notes.				Notes or news/rn/vn/etc.

A bulletin board system.  Well-inte-	Freely distributable.  Several choices
grated into VMS environment.  Only	of software.  Interfaces with Usenet.
works on local host or across DECNet.	Very wide readership.
Not interfaceable with Usenet.

7.
VAX DOCUMENT.				Well, it looks like you'd get this
					if you let troff handle a few more
Appears to be a markup language for	fonts, or crippled TeX or ditroff
typesetting.  Supports "a variety of	into device dependency.  My choice
Digital laser printers" (haha), but	is TeX, and it is freely distributable.
seems to be able to generate post-
script (for LPS40, at least).

8.
VAX SCAN.				Oh, God... awk, perl, sed, lex, ...

Something like 'awk', it seems.		Bundled with Unix and/or freely dis-
					tributable.

9.
VAX DEC/Test Manager.			None come to mind.

A regression test manager.

10.
VAX Software Project Manager.		None come to mind.

Not a bad collection of tools.  Sticking a "CASE" label on it is an overkill.
Seems like the term "CASE" is becoming as useful as the term "MIPS" -- when
you see it on a sales sheet, just white it out: you'll make the page less
crowded, and won't lose any useful information.

BBBBBBBBBBBBUT -- what does it cost?  I don't have the latest prices handy,
but last I checked CMS alone (that's the RCS equivalent) cost US$8,000, and
MMS (that's make) was $2,000.  I doubt if any of these tools cost less than
$2,000.  So, I'd guesstimate that if I wanted all of these, I'd pay about
$20,000 to $30,000 dollars, depending on how much cheaper it is to get them in
"kits" -- and that is PER MACHINE!  (I know that hypothetically, if every
computer on this campus was a VAX, many in clusters, and they all ran VMS, it
would be cheaper, but that is not reality.)

Now, I'm not saying that these tools are not worth the money -- they probably
are.  But they (except DOCUMENT) support only one specialty on campus:
software development.  If I was making this choice for a software development
company, this cost would be of low importance.  But this is a university.  We
have so many different interests here, that we just cannot afford to purchase
Caddilac-level tools for each one.  Besides, tools that we get for free, or at
nominal cost, are often at least as good, if not better.

So, to people who are considering to go VMS-only on their campus (sorry, this
discussion has been so long, that I can't trace its source anymore :-), I say:

	Go for it, if you have very rich and generous alumni.

Jacob Gore				Gore@EECS.NWU.Edu
Northwestern Univ., EECS Dept.		{oddjob,gargoyle,ihnp4}!nucsrl!gore

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (03/22/88)

As quoted from <8120009@eecs.nwu.edu> by gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore):
+---------------
| VAX DEC/Code Management System.		RCS.
|
| Well-connected with other VMS soft-	Freely distributable.  Separate soft-

...but requires a source code license, since it includes 4.xBSD diff sources
modified for RCS.  This leaves binary ncoast out in the cold, with SCCS which
is nowhere near as nice to use.  (If this has changed, someone please tell me
so I can get my hands on it!)
--
	      Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
       {well!hoptoad,uunet!hnsurg3,cbosgd,sun!mandrill}!ncoast!allbery