[comp.unix.wizards] Poor manners on network

sys1@anl-mcs.arpa (Systems Programmer) (03/24/88)

     In UNIX-WIZARDS Digest V4#186 Stephen J. Friedl (friedl@vsi.uucp)
writes:

	From: "Stephen J. Friedl" <friedl@vsi.uucp>
	Subject: Re: [braindamaged?] use of access(2) -- long note
	Date: 15 Mar 88 05:55:09 GMT
	To:       unix-wizards@SEM.BRL.MIL

	In article <305@wsccs.UUCP>, terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) writes:
	> Obviously, you have not heard of the link function,
	> which allows you to link a file to another file.

	Saying thinks like "obviously you have not heard of xxx" only
	irritates people, especially when they have indeed heard of it as
	I have.  Surely you can find a more constructive/pleasant way of
	offering your $.02.

I fully agree.  In fact, one of the primary reasons I so rarely
participate in the UWD conversations is that, while the majority
of persons posting items *do* maintain cordiality (or at least
civility :-D ), there is an unfortunately large minority who are
apparently not thusly encumbered :-< and who thereby reduce the
usefulness of the Digest.  My continuing thanks go out to all
those on the net to whom the former rather than the latter applies
because they have done so much to further my education.

                                       Scott Bennett
                                       Systems Programming
                                       Northern Illinois University
                                       DeKalb, Illinois 60115
*                                                                            *
* uucp:    {decvax,ihnp4,ucbvax}!anlams!niuvax!sys1                          *
* BITNET:  A01SJB1@NIU                                                       *
*                                                                            *
*++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++*
*  "I place economy among the first and most important virtues, and public   *
*  debt as the greatest of dangers to be feared.  To preserve our indepen-   *
*  dence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt.  If we run *
*  into such debts, we must be taxed in our meat and drink, in our necessi-  *
*  ties and in our comforts, in our labor and in our amusements.  If we can  *
*  prevent the government from wasting the labor of the people, under the    *
*  pretense of caring for them, they will be happy."                         *
*                                          --Thomas Jefferson                *