[comp.unix.wizards] Getting files w/ anonymous ftp

bd@hpsemc.HP.COM (bob desinger) (03/25/88)

Jim Brunke (brunke@vax1.acs.udel.EDU) writes:
> Ok, now do I use type binary for ftp??

After you've gotten onto the system with ftp, type the ftp command:

	bin

Ftp should respond with something like "Type set to I."

> gbd+.tar.2.4.6
> Now, secondly, assuming I get the file, how do I dearchive this file.

Get the file with `get gbd+.tar.2.4.6', then `bye' to exit ftp.  (You
knew this already.)

To see what path names the files will be extracted into, type:

	tar tf - <gbd+.tar.2.4.6

To do the extraction, type:

	tar xvf - <gbd+.tar.2.4.6

If you need to move to another directory first (so that the files will
unpack into that directory), type:

	cd /somewhere/else; tar xvf - </original/directory/for/gbd+.tar.2.4.6

There are other pathnames you could use, and other ways to run tar, but
these ways are the easiest to explain right now.

If the file name is really "gbd+.tar.2.4.Z", the .Z suffix is a clue
that the tar file is compressed.  Unpack that with:

	uncompress <gbd+.tar.2.4.Z | tar xvf -

or the two-step process

	uncompress gbd+.tar.2.4.Z
	tar xvf - <gbd+.tar.2.4

(Notice that uncompress strips off the .Z suffix.)  If you don't have
uncompress, try "compress -d" instead.  Uncompress actually runs
compress with the -d option.  [Yes, I know uncompress is a link, but
let's not cloud the issue for the sake of the explanation.]

Hope this helps,
-- bd