[comp.unix.wizards] office automation tools available for unix systems

jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa (03/19/88)

We are trying to set up some utility tools on a unix system to keep track of
meetings, do calendar management and conference room scheduling, track action
items, and the like.  Some of this we can do in a rudimentary way with
programs lying around.  However, it begins to look as though commercial or PD
programs already written for these purposes should be investigated.

I would like to request any pointers or recommendations that readers of
this posting can give on where to find programs of the sort mentioned above,
or related programs that you have found to be of great utility in an office
environment.

Also of use would be indirect pointers, i.e. where to look for advertisements
of applicable products.  Unix World is one that I am aware of, for example.

Any help that is forthcoming will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-John Sangster / jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

mike@BRL.ARPA (Mike Muuss) (03/19/88)

I just saw a copy of the CalendarTool for Suns that went around on
net.sources, and it looks pretty nice.
	-Mike

bd@hpsemc.HP.COM (bob desinger) (03/25/88)

John Sangster (jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa) writes:
> We are trying to set up some utility tools on a unix system to keep track of
> meetings, do calendar management and conference room scheduling, track action
> items, and the like.

The AT&T Toolchest has a time-management program that helps your group
schedule common meeting times and publicize their whereabouts.  I
don't remember what it's called, and you should dial up the Toolchest
anyway to look around.  You'll be glad you did.  Perhaps someone can
post something describing how to dial up the Toolchest machine (I
don't know that, either...boy, some help I am, eh?)

Reflecting on parts of the task like conference room scheduling,
sometimes the best tool for the job isn't a computer.  In his new book
_More_Programming_Pearls_, Jon Bentley describes how editor Peter
Denning keeps track of his articles with a looseleaf binder.  His
arguments for using this tool in this situation are compelling, but I
won't restate them here.  Buy the book; that's another thing you'll be
glad you did.  ("What's the best way to balance a checkbook using a
computer?  One elegant solution is to sell the computer and deposit
the money.")

> Also of use would be indirect pointers, i.e. where to look for advertisements
> of applicable products.  Unix World is one that I am aware of, for example.

Try Unix Review, too.  In fact, go to your favorite technical
bookstore or big-huge bookstore and look in their magazine rack
in the C language section, besides the Unix section.

Unix hardware vendors typically have a big catalog of programs written
by their customers that run on the vendor's iron.  Call your vendor
and ask about their "third-party software catalog."

-- bd