[comp.unix.wizards] The origin of 'KERMIT'

miw@uqcspe.OZ (Mark Williams) (03/21/88)

In article <2314@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

>Sure, and I suppose you'll tell us next that Kermit stands for
>Kilobaud-rate ERror-free Microcomputer Information Transfer.

Quote from:  _KERMIT:_Users_Guide_and_Secification_
            by Bill Catchings and Frank da Cruz
            Columbia University Centre for Computing Activities

                   - No Rights Reserved -

"Kermit is a set of programs that implement the "Kl 10 Error-free
 Reciprocal Microcomputer Interchange over Tty-lines" protocol.

	(However I saw in a later manual somewhere that the name KERMIT
is used with permission of Henson and Associates.)

>Guvf vf zber sha vs V yrnir bhg gur fzvyrl snpr.

:-)

Mark Williams        Arpa:  ccwilliams%wombat.decnet.uq.oz@uunet.uu.net
--
DISCLAIMER: Whenever I tell them my opinions they fall asleep.

Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious creature on earth.

tjfs@otter.hple.hp.com (Tim Steele) (03/25/88)

I have also seen (in Kermit documentation) the assertion that Kermit was used
as it is the Celtic [sic] word for 'free'.

Tim

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (03/28/88)

In article <1590005@otter.hple.hp.com> tjfs@otter.hple.hp.com (Tim Steele) writes:
|I have also seen (in Kermit documentation) the assertion that Kermit was used
|as it is the Celtic [sic] word for 'free'.
|
|Tim

"Kermit" is the Celtic word for "Beat L.A."!  :-)
--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

heiby@mcdchg.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (03/29/88)

Quoting from "Kermit - A File Transfer Protocol" by Frank da Cruz,
published by Digital Press, 1987, ISBN 0-932376-88-6, page 3 (un-numbered).

	"We invented a new protocol and called it Kermit, after
	Kermit the Frog, star of "The Muppet Show." [3]

	[3]  Why?  Mostly because there was a Muppets calendar
	on the wall when we were trying to think of a name, and
	Kermit is a pleasant, unassuming sort of character.  But
	since we weren't sure whether it was OK to name our protocol
	after this popular television and movie star, we pretended
	that KERMIT was an acronym; unfortunately, we could never find
	a good set of words to go with the letters, as readers of some
	of our early source code can attest.  Later, while looking
	through a name book for his forthcoming baby, Bill Catchings
	noticed that "Kermit" was a Celtic word for "free", which is
	what all Kermit programs should be, and words to this effect
	replaced the strained acronyms in our source code (Bill's baby
	turned out to be a girl, so he had to name her Becky instead).
	When BYTE Magazine was preparing our 1984 Kermit article for
	publication, they suggested we contact Henson Associates Inc.
	for permission to say that we did indeed name the protocol after
	Kermit the Frog.  Permission was kindly granted, and now the
	real story can be told.  I resisted the temptation, however, to
	call the present work "Kermit the Book."

I hope that clears things up sufficiently.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
"I believe in the Tooth Fairy."  "I believe in Santa Claus."