[comp.unix.wizards] What looks at the passwd file?

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (03/25/88)

Does anyone know if any of the "standard" Unix utilites look at the passwd
file to determine your home directory, instead of looking at $HOME?  (except,
of course, authenication programs like login and su, which have to.)  How
about other commonly used non-standard software (e.g., Gnu Emacs, MH, etc.).

I'm referring to 4.2/4.3BSD derived systems here.

Thanks,
--Pat.

jaap@cwi.nl (Jaap Akkerhuis) (03/25/88)

In article <4739@aw.sei.cmu.edu> pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) writes:

 > Does anyone know if any of the "standard" Unix utilites look at the passwd
 > file to determine your home directory, instead of looking at $HOME?  (except,
 > of course, authenication programs like login and su, which have to.)  How
 > about other commonly used non-standard software (e.g., Gnu Emacs, MH, etc.).
 >
 > I'm referring to 4.2/4.3BSD derived systems here.
 >
 > Thanks,
 > --Pat.

Trivial, see next bundle,

	jaap

# To unbundle, sh this file
echo phd.sh 1>&2
sed 's/.//' >phd.sh <<'//GO.SYSIN DD phd.sh'
-#!/bin/sh
-#
-# print home directory
-#
-
-if [ $# = 0 ]
-then
-	echo $HOME
-else
-	grep "^${1}:" /etc/passwd | sed -e 's/.*:.*:.*:.*:.*:\(.*\):.*/\1/'
-fi
//GO.SYSIN DD phd.sh

rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) (03/29/88)

People from Local 12, the Villians, Thieves, and Scoundrels Union :-)

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
I hope you millionaires are having fun!  I just invested half
 your life savings in yeast!!

P.S. That should produce some dough :-)