[comp.unix.wizards] How Do I Get Off This List?

philf@med-isg.stanford.edu (Phil Fernandez) (03/30/88)

This is getting frustrating.  I keep sending messages to unix-wizards-request
asking to be taken off this mailing list, but it doesn't seem to work.

HELP!

phil

In article <12706@brl-adm.ARPA> philf@med-isg.stanford.edu (Phil Fernandez) writes:
>This is getting frustrating.  I keep sending messages to unix-wizards-request
>asking to be taken off this mailing list, but it doesn't seem to work.

The list maintainer is out of town for a few weeks and it will
take him a while to catch up with the backlog.  If this is an
emergency, send mail to "postmaster@brl.mil".

ISCCHAN%NUSVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Luther Chan) (03/31/88)

Phil,

You are not alone. I have the same problem as you do. Yesterday I have send
another mail to Unix-wizards-request directed to Mike Muss, I hope he can do
something about this.  Perhaps you should do the same, otherwse they might
know it is a universal problem.

Luther

mlight@hpiacla.HP.COM (Mike Light ) (04/01/88)

> This is getting frustrating.  I keep sending messages to unix-wizards-request
> asking to be taken off this mailing list, but it doesn't seem to work.

There's an artificial intelligence agency within the SignalWorld
which is gobbling your requests because it has determined this newsgroup
is Best for You.

> HELP!

heh heh.

> phil

-- Mike Light.  ( I'm only kidding... I hope )

jwabik@uunet.uu.net (Jeff Wabik) (04/05/88)

> You are not alone. I have the same problem as you do. Yesterday I have send
> another mail to Unix-wizards-request directed to Mike Muss, I hope he can do
> something about this.  Perhaps you should do the same, otherwse they might
> know it is a universal problem.

I've been trying for a LONG time, as well.  If the UNIX-WIZARDS gods are
listening, PLEASE take me off the list..  Please Please Please!

	-Jeff

---
Jeff A. Wabik    UUCP: {rosevax,umn-cs,meccts,ems}!shamash!jwabik
  ____  ____     ARPA: jwabik@ub.d.umn.edu    NSFNET: jwabik@shamash.cdc.com
 / ___||___ \
| |___  ___| |   Control Data Corporation - Better living through 64 bits.
 \____||____/
		  	   Live long and program.

mike@BRL.ARPA (Mike Muuss) (04/08/88)

One of the things that I find most frustrating about the Unix-Wizards
list is the problem of ending a subscription.

When people subscribe, they often arrange elaborate forwardings or local
redistributions, which are out of the control of the main mailing list
administrator. However, memory of those mechanisms seems to fade fast,
and it can often take a great deal of back-and-forth to unravel the path
the subscription traverses.

Also, when people change jobs, they frequently arrange to have their
e-mail forwarded, without going back later and updating their mail
addresses.

Both of these situations are difficult to deal with from the the sending
end of the mailing list.

If you do wish to unsubscribe, please attempt to invert your
subscription process first (eg, ask your local postmaster to get you off
your local redistribution), before sending to the
unix-wizards-request@brl.arpa list, where appropriate. If you have
changed your mail address since you started your subscription, you
should mention your earlier addresses as well as your current address.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Bob Reschly for his
assistance with the Unix-Wizards list -- my work and business travel
commitments have been so overwhelming that without his help, things
would be rough.  Also, please keep in mind that sometimes a week may
pass before the -request box can be dealt with, so some patience is
useful.

	Thanks,
	 -Mike