[comp.unix.wizards] EINVAL

schwartz@gondor.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (04/11/88)

In article <7653@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <8120010@eecs.nwu.edu> naim@eecs.nwu.edu (Naim Abdullah) writes:
>>... open(2) and creat(2) return EINVAL if the pathname
>>supplied to them has a character with the high order bit set.
>
>I don't recall exactly which release of 4BSD introduced this "yet
>another better idea", somewhere around 4.1cBSD I think.  Yes, it
>is a bogus feature.

Made even more strange and bogus when you notice that in the unix domain
	rv = bind(s,sa,sizeof(sa));  /* yes, I know this is incorrect */
returns EINVAL even if the filename part of sa contains only valid
characters and '\0's (at least in SunOS 3.4).  4.3BSD doesn't complain,
though.  This one had some poor grad students on a Sun very upset
for a while: "But 0 has no high bits set!"

-- Scott Schwartz                       | Your array may be without head or
        schwartz@gondor.cs.psu.edu      | tail, yet it will be proof against