[comp.unix.wizards] Compressing unix disks

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (03/06/88)

Is anyone aware of any good programs for unfragmenting unix disks?  (collecting
all the files together so they use contiguous blocks).  I am looking for
programs for both BSD and SYSV systems.

Also, does anyone know of a way to get UNIX to allocate a file as contiguous
disk space?  Preferably, using normal user privleges but a scheme requireing
superuser permission would still be useful.

Please reply by mail as I don't get in to read news very often.

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306 (weekdays till 6 PM eastern)
{pur-ee,rutgers,uunet}!iuvax!ndmath!milo

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (03/07/88)

It is certainly possible to have a program that you would run on an
unmounted file system that would do an in place optimization.  Something
like the Sys V dcopy, but without the need for another drive.  Has anyone
heard of such a thing?

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

knutson@marconi.SW.MCC.COM (Jim Knutson) (03/08/88)

Dump and restore always worked well in the past for defragmenting a disk.
The real question is why you would want to do this on a BSD system
(assuming it is 4.2 or greater).  For AT&T System X, try your favorite
method of backup and restore (cpio I suppose).

--
Jim Knutson
knutson@mcc.com

hubcap@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Marshall) (03/08/88)

 *  Dump and restore always worked well in the past for defragmenting a disk.
 *  The real question is why you would want to do this on a BSD system
 *  (assuming it is 4.2 or greater).

For the benefit of the poster of the original question: BSD 4.2's fast file
system uses a disk management scheme that keeps disk transfer rates near
constant over time (not sensitive to fragmentation through use). 4.2 BSD's
throughput rates are dependent, instead, on the total amount of free space,
which must not be allowed to drop below a certain threshold.

-Mike Marshall         hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu         ...!hubcap!hubcap

breck@aimt.UUCP (Robert Breckinridge Beatie) (03/08/88)

In article <305@marconi.SW.MCC.COM>, knutson@marconi.SW.MCC.COM (Jim Knutson) writes:
> The real question is why you would want to do this on a BSD system

Mostly because the BSD FFS doesn't do a perfect job of preventing file
system fragmentation.  If you remove as well as create files, or if files
grow, then you're going to get fragmented files.  Maybe the degree of
fragmentation is kept small enough that compressing the file system doesn't
get you anything back.  But that's for him to decide.
--
Breck Beatie
{uunet,ames!coherent}!aimt!breck

maxwell@ablnc.ATT.COM (Robert Maxwell) (03/08/88)

I also e-mailed this, but for SYSV, the dcopy(1m) is the command specifically
intended for disk reorganization. It not only clears fragmentation, but
put sub-directories as the first entries in directories to speed up
path searches. Cpio (after making a new fs will do a fair amount of
cleanup, but dcopy works better.
R. M. Maxwell   AT&T DP&CT           |  I speak for nobody-
Maitland, FL    ablnc!delilah!bob    |  not even myself.

paddock@mybest.UUCP (Steve Paddock) (03/09/88)

In article <305@marconi.SW.MCC.COM> knutson@marconi.UUCP (Jim Knutson) writes:
>(assuming it is 4.2 or greater).  For AT&T System X, try your favorite
>method of backup and restore (cpio I suppose).

Mightn't fsck -s or mkfs between the backup and restore be helpful on
SysV?

--
Steve Paddock (uunet!bigtex!mybest!paddock)
4015 Burnet Road, Austin, Texas 78756

Paul_Steven_Mahler@cup.portal.com (03/09/88)

System V provides a dcopy utility for de-fragmenting a disc.
You may also use fsck to clean up the inode table.

sun!plato!paul

Paul_Steven_Mahler@cup.portal.com (03/09/88)

Aim Technology (415) 856-8649 sells a set of utilities that Gene
Dronick wrote which re-organize discs.

daveg@pwcs.StPaul.GOV (Dave Glowacki) (03/11/88)

In article <1097@hubcap.UUCP> hubcap@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Marshall) writes:
>For the benefit of the poster of the original question: BSD 4.2's fast file
>system uses a disk management scheme that keeps disk transfer rates near
>constant over time (not sensitive to fragmentation through use). 4.2 BSD's
>throughput rates are dependent, instead, on the total amount of free space,
>which must not be allowed to drop below a certain threshold.

What is this threshold?

Doing a 'df' shows that the system reserves 10% of each partition, since
the amounts in the used and available columns only add up to 90% of the
total blocks in each partition.  My boss maintains that 10% of the
AVAILABLE blocks must be kept free, leaving us with only about 81% of the
total disk space.  I think that the system's already got the space it needs.

Could someone PLEASE tell me I'm right, so we can get back all that wasted
space?  (9% of 3 Fuji Eagles)
--
Dave Glowacki           daveg@pwcs.StPaul.GOV         ...!amdahl!ems!pwcs!daveg
                   Disclaimer: Society's to blame.

mjy@sdti.UUCP (Michael J. Young) (03/11/88)

In article <3755@cup.portal.com> Paul_Steven_Mahler@cup.portal.com writes:
>Aim Technology (415) 856-8649 sells a set of utilities that Gene
>Dronick wrote which re-organize discs.

Has anyone used these?  Do they perform in-place reorganization, or do
they work like dcopy?  The biggest headache with dcopy is the requirement
for a second volume.

I typically reorganize my disks whenever they become more than 25-30%
fragmented.  Usually, I just do a mkfs and restore after a normal
weekly backup.  It's not quite as good as dcopy, but it's close enough,
and still results in a big throughput improvement.
--
Mike Young - Software Development Technologies, Inc., Sudbury MA 01776
UUCP     : {decvax,harvard,linus,mit-eddie}!necntc!necis!mrst!sdti!mjy

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (03/12/88)

[note that all of this only applies to 4.2 derived systems]

>Doing a 'df' shows that the system reserves 10% of each partition, since
>the amounts in the used and available columns only add up to 90% of the
>total blocks in each partition.  My boss maintains that 10% of the
>AVAILABLE blocks must be kept free, leaving us with only about 81% of the
>total disk space.  I think that the system's already got the space it needs.
>
>Could someone PLEASE tell me I'm right, so we can get back all that wasted
>space?  (9% of 3 Fuji Eagles)
>--
>Dave Glowacki           daveg@pwcs.StPaul.GOV         ...!amdahl!ems!pwcs!daveg

From "A Fast File System for UNIX*", Marshall Kirk McKusick, William
N. Joy, Samaul J. Leffler, Robert S. Fabray.

"In order for the layout policies to be effective, a file system
cannot be kept completely full. For each file system there is a
parameter, termed the free space reserve, that gives the minimum
acceptable percentage of file system blocks that should be free. If
the number of free blocks drops below this level only the system
administrator can continue to allocate blocks."

You're right, the boss is wrong, you can have your 10% back, the
enforced 10% should cover it. But a few things to note:

The 10% figure is a statistical best guess, the algorithm in the file
system only knows whether it's succeeding to get a free block by one
of three progressively less efficient algorithms (in hashalloc()) each
tried in turn. The authors do show in the paper how they arrived at
their 10% figure, it's not a randomly chosen number but is derived
from measurements. This means you *might* get better performance with
even more free space, but chances are also that it's insignificant,
10% is a pretty good margin, if your boss really needs to squeak that
much out then tell him/her/it to buy another disk.

Much more importantly, most of the hit (but not all) occurs when a
block is being allocated, that is, a file is being created and/or
extended on a nearly full file system. You won't lose nearly as much
if you fill up a file system which then is always (or nearly always)
read, such as a partition full of printer fonts or documentation.

The caveat was that as cylinder groups fill disk blocks are likely to
land all over the disk as the last few percent is allocated so there
will likely be some head optimiztion loss on seeks to read blocks.
Then again, the buffer caches can negate this effect if the same stuff
gets read frequently and/or the caches are large enough, big buffer
caches are a big win, forget the extra disk, tell your boss to buy a
little more memory and pump up nbuf...

This all adds up to a wonderful example of what I was told to do as a
student whenever you are asked an operating systems question, always
begin with the phrase "Well, it depends..."

Cheers, and be sure to read Chris Torek's answer also :-)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

steve@polyslo.UUCP (Steve DeJarnett) (03/13/88)

In article <4336@pwcs.StPaul.GOV> daveg@pwcs.StPaul.GOV (Dave Glowacki) writes:
>In article <1097@hubcap.UUCP> hubcap@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Marshall) writes:
[discussion deleted]
>Could someone PLEASE tell me I'm right, so we can get back all that wasted
>space?  (9% of 3 Fuji Eagles)

	Yes, you're right.  The system does keep 10% extra in reserve.  We
weren't sure this was true until we filled up our user file system, but sure
enough, 'df' showed /usr as being 110% of capacity -- 0 free blocks.  I don't
know how you can go about changing how 'df' works, short of recoding it, but
the extra 10% is definitely usable (although when you get to that point, you'd
probably better start shoving stuff on tape and deleting fast -- the last 10%
of an Eagle goes pretty fast).

| Steve DeJarnett		|    ...!ihnp4!csun!polyslo!steve	      |
| Computer Systems Lab		|    ...!{csustan,csun,sdsu}!polyslo!steve    |
| Cal Poly State Univ.		|    ...!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!steve	      |
| San Luis Obispo, CA  93407	|    					      |
#include <std_disclaimer.h>

chris@trantor.umd.edu (Chris Torek) (03/13/88)

In article <20574@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
>[note that all of this only applies to 4.2BSD derived systems]
>>... My boss maintains that 10% of the AVAILABLE blocks must be kept free.
>>... I think that the system's already got the space it needs.
>>Dave Glowacki       daveg@pwcs.StPaul.GOV     ...!amdahl!ems!pwcs!daveg

>You're right, the boss is wrong, you can have your 10% back, the
>enforced 10% should cover it.

Agreed.

>... whenever you are asked an operating systems question, always
>begin with the phrase "Well, it depends..."

Or, `no and yes' (see _The_Lord_of_the_Rings_, Chapter 3: Three Is
Company, very near the end of the chapter).

>Cheers, and be sure to read Chris Torek's answer also :-)

Seriously, all I can add is that if your boss stubbornly refuses
to acknowledge that he might be wrong, you could run

	tunefs -m 0 /u

to change the internally enforced free space to 0% (so that the
10% that you now see will become 19%).  Of course you should be
ready with an explanation as to where the space came from; `I
rolled some old files off to tape' should suffice :-) .
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Computer Science, +1 301 454 7163
Domain: chris@mimsy.umd.edu		Path: ...!uunet!mimsy!chris

dkc@hotlr.ATT (Dave Cornutt) (03/15/88)

You're right.  In average use, the threshold where the BSD FFS starts to
have trouble finding free blocks is at 90% of the TOTAL file space
available, NOT 90% of the 90%.  Incidentally, the reserve is there to
avoid performance problems that occur when the disk gets near full;
it wasn't really intended to be a "system manager reserve", in the
same sense that the last slot in the process table is.

Actually, on file systems consisting mostly of large files, I've been
able to push the reserve down as low as 3% without noticable performance
problems.  (You can adjust this using "tunefs".  Make sure the file
system is unmounted first.)  On something big like an Eagle, this could
mean an extra 30Mb to play with.
--
Dave Cornutt, AT&T Bell Labs (rm 4A406), Holmdel, NJ (Note new address!)
UUCP:{ihnp4,allegra,cbosgd}!hotly!dkc (path stolen from Shelley)

rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) (03/16/88)

   You're right, the boss is wrong, you can have your 10% back, the
   enforced 10% should cover it.

In fact, as root, you can allocate 111%. This is a good thing to do
with system sources, documents, and manual pages. In fact, I loaded
the distribution tapes verbatim into a couple of overloaded partitions,
and symlinked them to the real /usr/whatever where appropriate. It
really cuts down on the size of your operational system. Dumps get
smaller too.

   Of course you should be
   ready with an explanation as to where the space came from; `I
   rolled some old files off to tape' should suffice :-) .

How about, `Gee, boss, I compressed all your files' :-)

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (03/16/88)

As quoted from <305@marconi.SW.MCC.COM> by knutson@marconi.SW.MCC.COM (Jim Knutson):
+---------------
| Dump and restore always worked well in the past for defragmenting a disk.
| The real question is why you would want to do this on a BSD system
| (assuming it is 4.2 or greater).  For AT&T System X, try your favorite
| method of backup and restore (cpio I suppose).
+---------------

Under System V, the way to do it is dcopy:  it defragments the disk, spreads
free blocks evenly over the disk to slow the effect of further fragmentation,
sorts directories to place subdirectories first and thereby speed pathname
accesses, etc.
--
	      Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
       {well!hoptoad,uunet!hnsurg3,cbosgd,sun!mandrill}!ncoast!allbery

jk@Apple.COM (John Kullmann) (03/16/88)

I am not recommending it (yet) because I haven't used it by AIM
offers FSTUNE which allows you to selectively compress unix files
systems in place (some or all files...). Sounds like a great idea.

--
John Kullmann
Apple Computer Inc.

kurt@hi.unm.edu (Kurt Zeilenga) (03/16/88)

In article <12419@brl-adm.ARPA> rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) writes:

>   You're right, the boss is wrong, you can have your 10% back, the
>   enforced 10% should cover it.
>
>In fact, as root, you can allocate 111%.

Yes, because 10% of 111% is 11% and 111% - 11% is 100% and so the
100% is actually 90% and the 111% is actually 100%.

I guess you've never taken new math?	:-)

--
	Kurt (zeilenga@hc.dspo.gov)

mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Don Speck) (03/26/88)

In article <4336@pwcs.StPaul.GOV>, daveg@pwcs.StPaul.GOV (Dave Glowacki) writes:
>				   My boss maintains that 10% of the
> AVAILABLE blocks must be kept free, leaving us with only about 81% of the
> total disk space.  I think that the system's already got the space it needs.

What counts is the percentage of whole blocks that are free.  Minfree
is one way of attaining this percentage.  If you're able to maintain
free space by other means, you can reduce it (our facilities manager
enforces enough free space that I set minfree to 5% on our user disks).

In article <2452@umd5.umd.edu>, chris@trantor.umd.edu (Chris Torek) suggests:
>	tunefs -m 0 /u

However, this is too far.  If you have any small files, some of the free
space will be in the form of fragments.  If all that's left is fragments,
you can't create a file larger than the largest free fragment.	When this
happens, the disk should be declared full, so that file truncations due to
insufficient space will be obvious enough (empty files) that neither humans
nor programs (such as sendbatch) will be tempted to use the trashed files.
(There oughta be an option...)	It's also wise to reserve a few whole
blocks for critical operations like updating /etc/passwd (ouch!).

Fragments are reassembled into whole blocks only when all the fragments
of the block are free at the same time.  This sets a lower bound on
average free space.  If you maintain less, fragments will accumulate
and force more unusable free space until adjoining files are deleted.
The more file tails that fit in a block, the less likely that all will
be free at once.  If the median file size is less than 1/3 of a block,
you can expect several percent of the space to be lost to fragmentation.
The median file size can be increased some by raising the fragment size,
but that wastes more space than the fragmentation, so instead you should
decrease the blocksize.

Usenet articles are usually the worst, causing about 3% fragmentation
(assuming a 4K blocksize).  Filesystems with mostly static files do a
lot better (our /usr/src has 1% minfree).

Beyond this bare minimum of free space, you'd like to have enough free
that a rotationally optimum block is usually available.  The more tracks
per cylinder, the more rotationally optimum blocks there are to choose
from (thus disks with many heads may be able to run a little more full).
If the disk has nonzero head-switch delay (RA81), there is only one
rotationally optimum block, i.e. staying on the same track (done with
negative rotdelay), so on those you might want to leave more free space.
Ditto for contiguous allocation (done with tunefs -a and special drivers).

If you're squeezed for space, you should look first at the number of
inodes allocated.  It's not unusual to be able to reclaim 4% of the
total space that way.

(I wonder how a free space reserve affects SysV, Counterpoint & Masscomp
filesystems)?

Don Speck   speck@vlsi.caltech.edu  {amdahl,ames!elroy}!cit-vax!speck

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (04/04/88)

As quoted from <5949@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> by mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Don Speck):
+---------------
> (long discussion of BSD filesystems deleted)
| (I wonder how a free space reserve affects SysV, Counterpoint & Masscomp
| filesystems)?
+---------------

It doesn't affect System V very much at all:  the "old-style" filesystem
doesn't have to keep track of fragments and the free list is kept in such a
way that either the first block in the free list is available or the file
system is full.  No degradation on full filesystems at the price of being
slightly slower overall -- much *faster* on the systems I use, but then you
seem to need CPU to use the Berkeley FFS, and System V is popular on the
little *nix boxes.

A free space reserve *is* a good idea on the pipedev, though:  at least under
System III, the system just about stops dead when it can't allocate a block
for a pipe.  (Even though one would think that pipe blocks would remain in
the cache insteda of on disk -- is this a System III bug?)
--

mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Don Speck) (04/15/88)

In article <7582@ncoast.UUCP>, allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) writes:
> you seem to need CPU to use the Berkeley FFS, and System V is popular on the
> little *nix boxes.

I've heard over and over that the Berkeley Fast Filesystem is considered a
CPU hog.  So I tried a trivial experiment, a program that does 512 writes
of 8K bytes each (enough to exceed the buffer cache) and the times were:

3B20S SysV.2,  1K fs blocksize	    32.6 real  0.0 user  11.4 sys
vax-750 4.3BSD 8K fs blocksize	     8.5 real  0.0 user   8.2 sys

BSD beat SysV in system time, even though SysV was running
on a CPU twice as fast and optimized for SysV!	So why does
everybody claim that the BSD filesystem is a CPU hog?

Don Speck   speck@vlsi.caltech.edu  {amdahl,ames!elroy}!cit-vax!speck

jaw@eos.UUCP (James A. Woods) (04/16/88)

From article <6139@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, by mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Don Speck):
> In article <7582@ncoast.UUCP>, allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) writes:
>> you seem to need CPU to use the Berkeley FFS, and System V is popular on the
>> little *nix boxes.
>
> I've heard over and over that the Berkeley Fast Filesystem is considered a
> CPU hog.  So I tried a trivial experiment, a program that does 512 writes
> of 8K bytes each (enough to exceed the buffer cache) and the times were:
>
> 3B20S SysV.2,  1K fs blocksize	    32.6 real  0.0 user  11.4 sys
> vax-750 4.3BSD 8K fs blocksize	     8.5 real  0.0 user   8.2 sys
>
> BSD beat SysV in system time, even though SysV was running
> on a CPU twice as fast and optimized for SysV!	So why does
> everybody claim that the BSD filesystem is a CPU hog?
>
> Don Speck   speck@vlsi.caltech.edu  {amdahl,ames!elroy}!cit-vax!speck

the rumor probably started at murray hill, where they don't look too
kindly on complicated filesystem code.  but the payoff with the berkeley
filesystem is too large to ignore, as tests against sys5 repeatedly
show.  it'd be interesting to see stats comparing the edition nine
4k block system with the 4.3 one on the same machines, but i don't
know how weinberger handles the horrendous small-file wastage
addressed by mckusick's fancy block/fragment code.  sure berkeley
wastes 10% of the disk (does someone now have a cure for this?),
but throwing away 45% by just using large blocks with no fragment scheme
would be disaster.

some say the advantages theoretically disappear in a multi-user environment
where seeks are scheduled randomly, but i've never seen the degradation
in real life.

ironically, the small boxes need the performance boost just as much --
witness the apple mac2 50k byte/sec fiasco.  any machine that can't
load a megabyte of ascii in a second or two requires coding contortions
for basic word-processing at hand/eye reflex speed.
and small machines generally don't run multi-user, so the other random seek
myth wouldn't even apply.

so again, why do vendors deal with the system5 filesystem at all?

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (04/16/88)

In article <548@eos.UUCP> jaw@eos.UUCP (James A. Woods) answers:
>the rumor probably started at murray hill, where they don't look too
>kindly on complicated filesystem code.

Actually, I remember a Berkeley paper---probably the original fast file
system paper---that claimed that the 4.2BSD file system was designed
with faster processors in mind; this might lead to such a claim.  The
4.3BSD `/usr/doc/smm/14.fastfs' paper (which those who do not
understand the 10% free space reserve are encouraged to PLEASE GO READ
NOW AND STOP BLATHERING AND ... sorry, I got carried away :-) ) notes
that

    The overhead of allocating blocks in the new system is greater
    than the overhead of allocating blocks in the old system,
    however fewer blocks need to be allocated in the new system
    because they are bigger.
    The net effect is that the cost per byte allocated is about
    the same for both systems.

>the payoff with the berkeley filesystem is too large to ignore, as
>tests against sys5 repeatedly show.

I have never done the tests, but given the difference between the
4.2BSD FFS and the old 4.1BSD FS, if the SV FS is much like the 4.1BSD
FS (which, I gather, it is), I would have to agree.  Writes are at
least no more common than reads, and since `the cost per byte allocated
is about the same' one has nothing to lose anyway, except perhaps the
need for fsdb.

>some say the advantages theoretically disappear in a multi-user environment
>where seeks are scheduled randomly, but i've never seen the degradation
>in real life.

I think I have, but so rarely that it matters not.  95%* of the time
you win by 85%*, so you are 80% ahead already, or something along those
lines.  Especially it does not hurt that backups take half the time
they consumed under 4.1BSD.  [*These numbers were calculated by that
time-honoured method, Choosing Numbers that Sound Good Based on Nothing
at All.  Your mileage may vary, moreso in California and where
prohibited by law or customs officials.  (The author of this article is
suffering from Chocolate Overdose and an overly loud rendition of
`Where's the Walrus?' from the _Stereotomy_ CD, if you were wondering.)]

guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (04/17/88)

> I have never done the tests, but given the difference between the
> 4.2BSD FFS and the old 4.1BSD FS, if the SV FS is much like the 4.1BSD
> FS (which, I gather, it is),

It is.  Both are minor variants of the V7 FS; the main difference between the
SV and 4.1 versions is that the SV version has a magic number in the super
block that indicates whether it's a 512-byte or 1KB file system, whereas the
4.1 FS is always a 1KB file system (at least in the standard 4.1 release).