[comp.unix.wizards] errant files

VEC2098%RITVAX.BITNET@cornellc.ccs.cornell.edu (04/28/88)

        Oh masters of Unix, I [being a low level apprentice] have a request.
        I have a file in a directory the shows up as -rw-r--r-- etc. when
        I do an ls -al on the file. Now I want to get rid of this file but
        chmod does not work, it just acts as if the file does not exist,
        yet the file gets listed in the directory. Any help would be
        appreciated. Thanx in advance.

        "Man does not live by crime-fighting alone."
                                                        Batman

        Vance Cochrane
        Dept. of Computer Engineering
        Rochester Institute of Technology
        vec2098@ritvax

VEC2098%RITVAX.BITNET@cornellc.ccs.cornell.edu (04/29/88)

>From:  gov%"bowles@lll-crg.llnl.gov" 28-APR-1988 14:26

>Looks like the file in question has a strange character in its name,
>e.g. a file with an invisible control character. There are several
>ways to proceed, and the easiest way follows:
>    $ rm -fr .
>ANSWER "no" or "n" to all files - which means "don't remove this one"
>- except the errant file you wish to delete. Proceed slowly, or you can
>accidently remove all files.

>    Jeff Bowles

        I received this answer to my question about errant files and it
worked just fine.
        I am posting this because someone told me to crash my system to
solve the errant file problem. That sound a bit drastic to me. Check your
manuals. In version 3.51 of sys 5 I had to use rm -fri <dirname> and I
was able to delete the errant file. Hope this helps anyone who feels that
they must crash the system to delete a file.

        "Its a good thing we had on our Bat Thermal Underwear Robin!"

                                                        Batman

        Vance E. Cochrane
        Dept. of Computer Engineering
        Rochester Institute of Technology