[comp.unix.wizards] Disk maps on unix disks

narayan@tandem.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram) (04/17/88)

In most unix systems, when one makes a file system via an
FSCK, they have to dig up the manual for the disk type to
see how the disc driver has laid out the disk (the various
partions sizes, and starting point). Has any-one come up
with a standard for putting these partition map info on
the front a disk on a super-super block so to speak. Then
one can mount a disk pack on any unix system, and read it.
The drivers/unix can get the info from the front of the
disk.

chris@trantor.umd.edu (Chris Torek) (04/18/88)

In article <355@tandem.UUCP> narayan@tandem.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram) writes:
>In most unix systems, when one makes a file system via an FSCK,

(Must be painful.  I use newfs or mkfs. :-) )

>... Has any-one come up with a standard for putting these partition map
>info on the front a disk on a super-super block so to speak.

4.3-Tahoe has pack labels.  These are stuffed into the middle of the
boot sector.  Only the hp (massbuss disk) and ra (uda50 disk) drivers
really support labels, unless someone has done the up (Emulex sc21
Unibus) driver recently (kre??).

>Then one can mount a disk pack on any unix system, and read it.

Not quite: the label is stored in `native' byte order, so moving
from, e.g., a Vax to a Tahoe will not work.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Computer Science, +1 301 454 7163
Domain: chris@mimsy.umd.edu		Path: ...!uunet!mimsy!chris

dlm@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Dennis L. Mumaugh) (04/26/88)

In article <355@tandem.UUCP   narayan@tandem.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram) writes:
  In most unix systems, when one makes a file system via an
  FSCK, they have to dig up the manual for the disk type to
  see how the disc driver has laid out the disk (the various
  partions sizes, and starting point). Has any-one come up
  with a standard for putting these partition map info on
  the front a disk on a super-super block so to speak. Then
  one can mount a disk pack on any unix system, and read it.
  The drivers/unix can get the info from the front of the
  disk.

On UNIX System V for the ATT 3B2/5/15/4000 the second  sector  on
the  disk  is  the VOLUME TABLE OF CONTENTS (vtoc).  It describes
the disk's partitioning.  The first 100 sectors of any disk (hard
or  floppy)  are the boot sectors and excluded from the unix file
system.  One "partition" ususually 6 included the whole disk  but
of  course  one  couldn't mount it as the disk didn't look like a
real filesystem.

There were some pre-defined vtocs for "default" or naive users.

--
=Dennis L. Mumaugh
 Lisle, IL       ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,lll-crg}!cuuxb!dlm

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (04/27/88)

In article <1766@cuuxb.ATT.COM>, dlm@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Dennis L. Mumaugh) writes:
> On UNIX System V for the ATT 3B2/5/15/4000 the second  sector  on
> the  disk  is  the VOLUME TABLE OF CONTENTS (vtoc).  It describes
> the disk's partitioning.

The 3B5 I maintain has no vtoc; the partitions are hardcoded into
the driver, thus limiting partition options.  In addition, the
default partitions overlap and we have to manually insure that
filesystems *don't* overlap.  The machine as installed had a root
partition that overlapped /usr by 100 blocks (the size of the
boot area).  It was an exceedingly unpleasant experience when
root filled up one day...

Maybe Sys V Release 3 for the 3B5 fixes this ha ha ha :-)

--
Steve Friedl           V-Systems, Inc.        Spaf for president!
friedl@vsi.com   {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl

preece%fang@xenurus.gould.com (Scott E. Preece) (04/29/88)

> In article <355@tandem.UUCP   narayan@tandem.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram) writes:
>   In most unix systems, when one makes a file system via an
>   FSCK, they have to dig up the manual for the disk type to
>   see how the disc driver has laid out the disk (the various
>   partions sizes, and starting point). Has any-one come up
>   with a standard for putting these partition map info on
>   the front a disk on a super-super block so to speak. Then
>   one can mount a disk pack on any unix system, and read it.
>   The drivers/unix can get the info from the front of the
>   disk.
----------
On Gould's UTX/32 the partition sizes and locations are stored on the
disk.  There are defaults for each type of disk, but installers can
change them for each pack.  The diskpart(8) command on UTX/32 takes the the
name of a raw device partition and reports partition sizes for that
disk, rather than for a named class of disks.

--
scott preece
gould/csd - urbana

rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) (04/30/88)

   In article <355@tandem.UUCP   narayan@tandem.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram) writes:
     In most unix systems, when one makes a file system via an
     FSCK, they have to dig up the manual for the disk type to
     see how the disc driver has laid out the disk (the various
     partions sizes, and starting point). Has any-one come up
     with a standard for putting these partition map info on
     the front a disk on a super-super block so to speak. Then
     one can mount a disk pack on any unix system, and read it.
     The drivers/unix can get the info from the front of the disk.

No, they just use newfs. TPC should grab that baby, but disk labels are nicer.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
I hope you millionaires are having fun!  I just invested half
 your life savings in yeast!!