[comp.unix.wizards] Swap

ccs@lazlo.UUCP (Clifford C. Skolnick) (04/27/88)

     Does anyone know of a way to figure out how much swap space is in
use under System V?  I added the sticky bit to my shells and vi.  Now I
would like to see if I should make a bigger swap partition or if I should
buy more memory for my 3B1.  I've seen this on other systems, and am hopeing
it can be done easily.  I don't mind doing the programming if someone could
just tell me where the data is.

   Cliff
--
Clifford C. Skolnick    | - Never insult 7 men while carrying a six shooter -
Phone: (716) 427-8046   |                       /!kodak!pcid!gizzmo! \

jgy@hropus.UUCP (John Young) (04/28/88)

>      Does anyone know of a way to figure out how much swap space is in
> use under System V?  I added the sticky bit to my shells and vi.  Now I
> would like to see if I should make a bigger swap partition or if I should
> buy more memory for my 3B1.  I've seen this on other systems, and am hopeing
> it can be done easily.  I don't mind doing the programming if someone could
> just tell me where the data is.
>
>    Cliff

If you have the /etc/crash program just run that use either the "map swap"
or "smap" commands (depending on availability!!).  Another possibility is
a program /etc/swap

pwy@pyuxe.UUCP (Peyton Yanchurak) (05/03/88)

In article <53@lazlo.UUCP>, ccs@lazlo.UUCP writes:

>      Does anyone know of a way to figure out how much swap space is in
> use under System V?  I added the sticky bit to my shells and vi.  Now I
On System V Release 2 Version 2 (paging) and later releases, the
sar command has the -r option.  It tell how much memory and also
how much swap space is currently available.  It gives
you a history of free memory and swap space.

				Peyton Yanchurak

rjd@occrsh.ATT.COM (05/05/88)

::>
::>      Does anyone know of a way to figure out how much swap space is in
::> use under System V?  I added the sticky bit to my shells and vi.  Now I
::On System V Release 2 Version 2 (paging) and later releases, the
::sar command has the -r option.  It tell how much memory and also
::how much swap space is currently available.  It gives
::you a history of free memory and swap space.
::
::				Peyton Yanchurak
Peyton,
  Sorry, Unix System V release 2 is swapping.  Release 3 is paging....

Randy

guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (05/08/88)

> ::On System V Release 2 Version 2 (paging) and later releases, the
>   Sorry, Unix System V release 2 is swapping.  Release 3 is paging....

Sorry, UNIX System V Release 2 is swapping, System V Release 2 Version 2 is
paging (on the VAX, at least).

In article <142700033@occrsh.ATT.COM> rjd@occrsh.ATT.COM writes:
>::On System V Release 2 Version 2 (paging) and later releases, ...
>::				Peyton Yanchurak
>  Sorry, Unix System V release 2 is swapping.  Release 3 is paging....

If you don't know what you're talking about you should not be posting
to UNIX-WIZARDS.  SVR2V2(VAX) was in fact a paging release.  How about
answering the fellow's question instead of trying to tell him that his
system isn't what he knows it is?

rjd@occrsh.ATT.COM (05/09/88)

+::On System V Release 2 Version 2 (paging) and later releases, the
+::
+::				Peyton Yanchurak
+  Sorry, Unix System V release 2 is swapping.  Release 3 is paging....
+
+Randy

  Ooops, sorry - I was wrong (sorry Peyton).  Many people have corrected me
and flamed me for my ignorance.  The last system V release I had any dealings
with before 3.1 was 2.0.5....
  And here I was wondering if the articles from this site were even getting out
to the world due to lack of response.  At least this one did (and it would be
one that I was wrong :-(.

Randy

P.S. Am I correct in thinking that Release 3 introduced streams, then?