[comp.unix.wizards] Is rlogin protocol documented anywhere?

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (05/18/88)

	I'm trying to write my own rlogin client but can't seem to find where
the rlogin protocol is documented.  I'm able to get a connection opened but
I'm having trouble dealing with the various oob messages the deamon sends to
the client.  Are these documented anywhere other than in the code?  Why does
rlogin.h have

#ifndef TIOCPKT_WINDOW
#define TIOCPKT_WINDOW 0x80
#endif

in it?  Why supply a default for TIOCPKT_WINDOW but not TIOCPKT_NOSTOP and
TIOCPKT_DOSTOP?  And, just what do these later two mean?  They obviously have
something to do with ^Q/^S handling, but I havn't yet devined the details.
Ditto for TIOCPKT_FLUSHWRITE; it's not clear under what circumstances this is
sent.
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (05/18/88)

In article <3274@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>... can't seem to find where the rlogin protocol is documented.

Document? *snicker*

Just kidding.  Actually, it is not documented anywhere save by the source,
as far as I can tell.

>Why does rlogin.h have
>#ifndef TIOCPKT_WINDOW
>#define TIOCPKT_WINDOW 0x80
>#endif
>in it?  Why supply a default for TIOCPKT_WINDOW but not TIOCPKT_NOSTOP and
>TIOCPKT_DOSTOP?

This makes the same source compile on SunOS [23].*, where TIOCKPT_WINDOW is
not defined, but all the others are.

>And, just what do these later two mean?

NOSTOP means ^S/^Q are not being used as flow control, so they should
be passed through rather than acting as local flow control.  DOSTOP
is the inverse.

>Ditto for TIOCPKT_FLUSHWRITE; it's not clear under what circumstances this is
>sent.

Whenever the user types ^O or (if not NOFLSH) ^C, does something else
that makes the tty driver attempt to flush pending output.