[comp.unix.wizards] NFS block number ordering: how to change?

bob@cloud9.UUCP (Bob Toxen) (05/19/88)

We have a Sun running the NFS client side (a kernel implementation).
When we try to read a file off of the remote system it doesn't request
blocks 0, 1, 2, 3, ...  Instead it "sorts" them according to the
disk interlace factor so it actually requests 0, 10, 20, 1, 11, 21, etc.
I'm sure it's easy to fix this.  I just don't know how?  Could someone
email me the answer?

Thanks,
Bob Toxen	{ucbvax!ihnp4,harvard,cloud9!es}!anvil!cavu!bob
Stratus Computer, Marlboro, MA
Pilot to Copilot:
     Say ... What's a mountain goat doing way up here in a cloud bank?
--

Bob Toxen	{ucbvax!ihnp4,harvard,cloud9!es}!anvil!cavu!bob
Stratus Computer, Marlboro, MA
Pilot to Copilot: What's a mountain goat doing way up here in a cloud bank?

david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) (05/20/88)

In article <423@cloud9.UUCP>, bob@cloud9.UUCP (Bob Toxen) writes:
> We have a Sun running the NFS client side (a kernel implementation).
> When we try to read a file off of the remote system it doesn't request
> blocks 0, 1, 2, 3, ...  Instead it "sorts" them according to the
> disk interlace factor so it actually requests 0, 10, 20, 1, 11, 21, etc.
> I'm sure it's easy to fix this.  I just don't know how?  Could someone
> email me the answer?

What is happening is that the NFS client is attempting to "read-ahead"
the next blocks.  This is done by the "biod"'s.  If you want strictly
increasing from 1 just kill off all of the biod's.  In some cases, this
will actually speed up read speeds with some servers.

--
	David Robinson		elroy!david@csvax.caltech.edu     ARPA
				david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov	  ARPA